Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Route-Riter issues

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Route-Riter issues Empty Route-Riter issues

Post  Jonathan David Sun 17 May 2020, 9:52 am

I am having some odd issues with Route-Riter.
First, when I open the program I get the error message “You doi not seem to have a Java runtime system on your PC, this program will not run until this is fixed. See my FAQ page” even though that program is installed. It seems not to stop Route-Riter working anyway.
Secondly, when I check Activities, I always seem to get the same error message several times: “An error 450 occurred in subroutine ‘LooseActivities’ please advise. Support with details of operation being processed”
Can anyone explain what is wrong as I do not know what to look for?
Thirdly, I get spurious error messages saying that rolling stock files are missing when they are not. I have checked things such as invisible spaces in file names, and indeed have retyped file and folder names.
Fourthly, I get messages along the lines of “Faulty Activity Lebanon Local.act, is missing Wagon VTR176\vtr176.wag.wag” when there is nothing untoward about the entry in the Consist file, and certainly no spurious “wag” in the file name.
Finally, I am getting the following error messages:
“Missing Service IR1
Player_Traffic_Definition ( 36000 ).srv in IR1.act

Missing Service T9
Player_Traffic_Definition ( 37500 ).srv in T09.act

Missing Service T32
Player_Traffic_Definition ( 84780.srv in T32.act
Missing Service T42
Player_Traffic_Definition ( 20220.srv in T42.act

Missing Service X67
Player_Traffic_Definition ( 32400 ).srv in X67.act

Missing Service X79
Player_Traffic_Definition ( 36000 ).srv in X79.act”
I have checked carefully and there is nothing different in format between these Activity and Service entries and similar entries in other Activity and Service files. Any suggestions? Should there be quotation marks around the Service names? Some seems to have them and some do not.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Route-Riter issues Empty Re: Route-Riter issues

Post  rufuskins Sun 17 May 2020, 11:14 am

Back in January of this year I had the same issue viz-a-viz apparent Java error. It turned out that it was the location of Java and this thread discussed it:-

https://tsforum.forumotion.net/t1391-route-riter-oddity

As to the other errors I can't comment.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 17 May 2020, 11:32 am

Hi Jonathan,
Regarding the activity errors, have you tried running my utility MSTS_ActMan? It might give more information.

Without having details of the route and activity, I'm unable to offer more help, sorry!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sun 17 May 2020, 5:11 pm

Re Java, I should have read my own advice. One to remember at the next Java update. Cured. It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the year with Java when there is no longer support, and presumably no updates.
One question re the other matters, where can I find the FAQ page for Route-Riter which is mentioned in the error message? It doesn't seem to be in the RR folder. BTW I also get the error 450 message when checking Consists.
And the wag.wag issue seems to happen with all sorts of routes at random, though for Activity files not Consists. Currently they are all American routes, but I have had the same issue with British routes.
If it helps, the issue with Services I quoted is with The London and Port Stanley Railway.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sun 17 May 2020, 5:24 pm

A number of Route Riter error messages are outlined on Steam4me here

https://msts.steam4me.net/Route_Riter/index.html

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 17 May 2020, 5:54 pm

Hi Jonathan,
The Route_Riter FAQ used to be available on Mike's site - I have attached it here-to.

There's no mention of error 450, which appears to indicate a problem with Windows system files.

Incidentally, the version of Route_Riter linked to by the Steam4Me site is not by Mike Simpson and should be treated with caution.

Cheers,
Ged
Attachments
Route-Riter issues Attachment
Route-Riter FAQ.txt You don't have permission to download attachments.(8 Kb) Downloaded 2 times

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sun 17 May 2020, 6:37 pm

Thanks. I shall file it away for future reference if needed.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 17 May 2020, 7:16 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I've just installed L & PS 3.0.1, 5th Anniversary Edition and, if it's any consolation to you, my Route_Riter also gives many errors.  Additionally. MSTS_ActMan gives similar errors!  I have no idea what the problem is, BUT MSTS runs the activities OK!!

I'm a bit busy on another project at the moment, but as soon as I get time, I'll  try and fathom out why the errors are being reported!  I've already thought of  'case', but  that doesn't seem to be the cause.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sun 17 May 2020, 9:47 pm

Thanks. I think one issue with may be a name line missing in some consists; I am investigating. Update. No luck on this front.
And I have realised that at least some of the wag.wag errors are caused not by an error in that vehicle's entry but an error in the next one, such as no space between the filename and the folder name, or only one set of inverted commas.
And please ignore my comment about support for Jawa. It is support for Flash which is ending.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 17 May 2020, 11:36 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I must correct my last message. MSTS_ActMan didn't report ANY errors similar to Route_Riter! It did report missing stock from consists, although I can see nothing wrong with them (but there must be because the computer says so!!).

Is it only three- or two-letter service names which have been reported? I wonder if R_R applies an arbitrary length check?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 19 May 2020, 6:59 pm

Apologies if the following is teaching grandmothers how to suck eggs, but I hope it may be helpful to others who come across the problem.
In my post above I mentioned that there were a number of error messages stating that vehicles with file names sufficed .wag.wag were missing. I have now spent some time and tracked them all down. Often I am afraid I had created the error myself when substituting freeware vehicles for paid for ones in activities. Those who are fond of American routes will be aware that there are many commonly used rolling stock items which are either payware or make use of shape files from payware. Since I do not really want to have to purchase routes just to see if I like the wagons or for a shape file or two, my practice wherever possible is to substitute freeware items.
Back to the problem. The error is not, as one would expect, in the rolling stock item named. It is in a rolling stock item one, two or even three below in the consist or activity file. The error is normally that there is no space between the vehicle name and the folder name. Easy to cure once found but very hard to spot.
But the bad news is that I have not cracked the missing Service errors I listed above. In fact I have now discovered that the same Activities generate similar Consist errors in the form
Consist IR1 has an incorrect TrainCfg entry of IR1
Name ( IR1 )
which I am also unable to fix.
Re the suggestion of short file names being the problem, the same route has other Activities and Consists with three digit file names which cause no problems.
I have to say though that the quality of British uploads to UKTrainSim.com is generally much higher than of American uploads to TrainSim.com. One particular issue which seems to be rather common in American uploads is missing Service and Traffic files for activities, something which I have very, very rarely come across on UKTrainSim.com. So thanks and congratulations to all those British uploaders who serve us so well. And thanks also to those on this site who help all us amateurs who make so many errors when handling train simulation files.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 19 May 2020, 10:30 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for your explanation, even though it is a little odd!!

May I suggest that if Route_Riter does report similar errors with activities, you try my MSTS_ActMan.  It should report the actual line/s in error, but no program can be guaranteed to be completely error-free!!  (That's my excuse, anyway Smile )

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  MS302 Fri 22 May 2020, 1:44 pm

Are you using "context" (available at Steam4Me?) as your text editor ? It is far superior to Wordpad for highlighting errors in MSTS files.

MS302

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Fri 22 May 2020, 9:20 pm

I have now installed Action Manager but it is stating that the relevant stock files are missing when they are there.
I have it installed on my D drive along with the routes. Do I need to tweak it to find the stock?
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  MS302 Fri 22 May 2020, 9:25 pm

I had the same reports from Action Manager,I could not solve them and had to reinstall the route/stock and activities to solve the problem.I also found that I could not place loose consists or edit consists through the activity editor whilst these errors persisted.May be unconnected,but I do not believe in coincidences.

MS302

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 22 May 2020, 10:34 pm

Hi,
Action Manager, eh??  I've always thought of it as Activity Manager!! Smile

@ Jonathan :Thanks for the information - I'll devote some time this weekend to try to find out exactly what MSTS_ActMan is detecting as invalid.  You said you'd replaced some of the stock - I assume you haven't changed any of the .act, ,srv and .trf files, in which case could you please let me know what stock you've replaced, and with what (it might help if you also zipped the consist files and attached it to a post). Just pick one of the 'problem' activities.

@Peter :  You may well have had the same problem, and it's just possible that a particular 'bad' stock item could have also caused the issue you had with AE, but since you couldn't supply me with any in-depth information, I was unable to help.

Thanks,
Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sat 23 May 2020, 9:12 am

Yes, Activity Manager -senior moment, another!
Attached is a very simple example. I have removed the sound and cabview folders as they made it too big to attach. This route etc are in a folder called "American routes". The problem also occurs with the routes in the "European routes" folder. - and in another called "Australian and NZ routes"!
I have my routes (too many) divided into groups to simplify creating Consists, and because when I was using MSTS rather than Open Rails I had too many Consist files. I have done other checks. Sometimes there is no problem and in others it produces incorrect stock missing messages. I can't see a pattern.
Jonathan
Attachments
TEST FILES.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(1.2 Mb) Downloaded 2 times

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 23 May 2020, 10:32 am

Hi Jonathan,
Many thanks Smile
I had a preliminary look at the program last night and did find a bug but I can't, at this moment categorically say that I've found the solution/reason!

Hope to have more news in a couple of days!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 23 May 2020, 3:11 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I believe I've located the little bug(ger)!

Would you please test this version (0.3R) of MSTS_ActMan.  Rename your existing MSTS_ActMan.exe file and put this new version in its place - you can use the same shortcut as I haven't changed the name.

I've still got to do some more testing but it looks OK, certainly with the LPS route!

Please let me have your report when you're ready.

@Peter : I'll, also, be pleased to receive a report from you if you're able to Smile

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT 26 May 2020 : The attachment has been removed and replaced by v0.3T in my post of 26 May

Last edited by slipperman12 on Tue 26 May 2020, 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 24 May 2020, 1:49 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I've sorted out the Route_Riter error report :

Activity IR1  )
Activity T32  )  The Player Service Definition entry includes a space after the last character -
Activity T42  )   Edit the activity file and re-enter the service name (without the space!)
Activity X79  )

MSTS would run the above activities because it ignores spaces, unless they are inside double-quotes.
For the same reason, MSTS_ActMan wouldn't report any errors.

Activity T09 - Edit the service name to be T09 (instead of "T9")
Activity X67 - I can't see anything wrong with this, but re-entering the line as X67 or "X67", made it acceptable to R_R!

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : The reason R_R rejected the X67 service entry in the activity file is because it is followed by three TAB characters (09), instead of CR/LF (0D/0A) characters, even though they were outside the double-quotes!!

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sun 24 May 2020, 3:38 pm

Thanks. I'll have a play. I am well aware of the (all too common) invisible space at the end of file names, but I missed this one.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sun 24 May 2020, 7:06 pm

I have installed your new version.
When I seem to have fewer spurious errors I am still getting the same errors with the LPS activities of saying stock is not present when it is.
You say that the X67 Activity has three tabs but I cannot see them. Where exactly are they?
Sorry not to be more helpful.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 24 May 2020, 7:27 pm

Hi Jonathan
Unless you've got a Hex Editor, you won't see the tabs!
Place the cursor at the left hand end of  "X67", hold the left mouse button down and drag it to the right until the whole entry is blue. Release the mouse button and press the Delete button, then enter X67 (or "X67" - it doesn't matter which!).  Save the file.

I've installed the LPS route and the only 'real' error I got with MSTS_ActMan was for  T9.  If you're still referring to Route_Riter, then if you make the changes I detailed in my previous message, no errors will be reported.

If you're still having problems, please tell me which program is showing the errors and EXACTLY what those errors are.  What stock is reported as missing?

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : Regarding the 2662_NP_3001 loco and consist you sent me - sorry, but I can find nothing wrong with it, even using v3.1 of MSTS_ActMan. MSTS_Check reported that the sounds and cabview are missing, which was expected!!

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 25 May 2020, 7:29 am

Many thanks for your help. I'll track down those tabs now you have suggested how. Yes all those LPS activities run fine.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 25 May 2020, 10:16 am

Hi Jonathan,
That's good to hear!
It's only Route_Riter which has problems with the TABs - as far as I know, MSTS ignores them because they are 'white-space' which is outside of double-quotes. Sorry, I feel I've said that before! It must be my age!!

I have a new version of MSTS_ActMan (0.3S) in which, as well as correcting the bug, I've added a couple more checks together with a few cosmetic changes. Would you be interested in trying it out?

Primarily due to the bug you reported (thank you Smile ), I need to get the new version uploaded as soon as possible, even though only you and Peter have reported the problem (and I'm still not sure if Peter's was the same!).

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 25 May 2020, 2:51 pm

I'll be happy to look at it though I am no expert.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 26 May 2020, 7:53 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I appreciate that you're not an 'expert', but I still value your feedback, as a 'normal' user Smile

A new testing version is attached here-to.

As before, rename your existing MSTS_ActMan.exe file, unpack the .zip file and copy the new .exe file into its place.

If you have any problems, spurious error messages or, even, suggestions for improvements/enhancements, please let me know.

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : 18 July 2020. The attachment has been removed as it's no longer relevant.

Last edited by slipperman12 on Sun 19 Jul 2020, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Route-Riter issues Empty MSTS_ActMan

Post  slipperman12 Thu 28 May 2020, 6:49 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Have you had chance to look at v0.3T yet?
If you have, and there's something not working correctly, I would appreciate you telling me sooner rather than later!

Another tester has reported a problem, which has been fixed, but it doesn't affect the operation of the program.

I know this thread is, primarily, about the false errors reported by Route_Riter but, as MSTS doesn't 'complain', I don't feel that ActMan should be reporting non-existent errors. I suggest that ActMan be used as a 'second opinion' for any R_R reported activity errors, particularly those which seem to be suspect.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Fri 29 May 2020, 9:11 am

Sorry, I have been a bit preoccupied with other things.
I have now done quite a bit of checking and for many routes no errors are thrown up, other than genuine ones, the main area where there are problems seems to be the American routes. There are no problems wigth gthe default routes.
I have created a file with some inexplicable errors for one American route, Birmingham, as they all involve default stock. The file is too big to add as an attachment but you should be able to download it from Dropbox at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1b9xpveb9q0fo3l/report%20and%20material%20used.zip?dl=0
If you want I can send you the activities.
Is it possible that this section has just too many routes and too much stock for Activity Manager to cope? I have a bad habit of downloading material in case it might be useful, and routes which look interesting, especially as I cannot now easily write my own activities for routes which are supplied with none, as I still cannot get MSTS itself to run on my current PC and use solely Open Rails (I still have an old PC which runs it but it is very slow and some keys no longer work).
Please let me know if you would like me to do any specific checks.,
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Fri 29 May 2020, 10:25 am

I realised that I should have given you the Activity etc files. Now attached.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 29 May 2020, 11:09 am

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for the report and files.

Obviously, I can't check the activity part of the program, but, initially, I copied the stock and consists you submitted into a default MSTS installation, replacing the original files with yours, in case they were different, and ran  "Check All Consists".  Except for genuine missing stock, the default stock wasn't reported as missing - the only problems reported were regarding the case of Dash9, GP38 and SD402 names. I then ran a check on all the activities in USA2 route, which uses some of your consists, and, again, no missing stock was reported.

I even downloaded the program I posted and ran that, but the results were the same.

May I ask you to run "Check All Consists".  If you get the same errors as on your Report No. 2, then it's a bit of a puzzle!!  You might be right regarding the amount of stock/consists in your installation, but I wouldn't think it would cause this sort of problem - you're more likely to get a system error.

Will you please tell me the number of folders you have in your TRAINSET folder and the number of consists in your CONSISTS folder .  When using Route_Riter to check the activities, does it report similar missing stock?

I don't have the Birmingham route so the activities wouldn't be of much help, and if  "Check All Consists" reports the same errors, then it's nothing to do with the route.

It seems very odd that only the locos are reported as missing - are you absolutely certain that they are where you think they are and that they have the correct .eng extension.!  Sorry if that seems rude, it's not intended to be, but I'm clutching at straws here!!

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : Thanks for the activities, but see my penultimate paragraph - you posted while I was composing this message Smile
Sorry, the acts weren't attached!

EDIT 2 (19:30)  A thought just flashed across my mind (like they do, sometimes!!), but I've just spotted that you don't run MSTS.  Anyway, I'll just carry on -  If you've got a big installation, there's a good chance you use TrainStore or Mini-Loader.  If so, are you sure that everything was unstored before running ActMan?  However, thinking about Open Rails - if, by any chance, you've moved the .eng files out of the main stock folder into the OpenRails sub-folder, they will not be included in any checks by the current version of ActMan.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sat 30 May 2020, 3:18 pm

Sorry to be so long replying, but I have been a bit busy with other things than train simming.
I also needed to clear up some consists which I knew contained stock I don't have (commercial mostly) by replacing it with stock I do have. I have now got to the stage with Route Writer shows no errors with my American Routes section. And I copied all the default stock from my (default) 1MSTS folder into my American routes folder and overwrote. But I am afraid that Activity Manager when I run Check all Consists unfortunately comes up with dozens of errors, and they are not just case issues. I have looked at a few dozen and they are all spurious as far as I can tell.
I have also run Activity Manager on all the routes in my Australian/New Zealand and European sections without problems. The only errors flagged are case issues or genuine missing/faulty items.
Regarding your comments. No, I used to use Train Store but found I was losing things (through my incompetence) so stopped. And I do not use Mini-Loader. I do still have one route in that format and I am aware that until you activate things they are not visible to the likes of Route Riter. But I do not use it with the American Routes folder.
You ask about size. Please sit down. There are 109 routes, 6679 stock folders and 2498 Consists. I know that is ridiculous. I might try sifting things (storing away unused consists for a start) and I will let you know if it makes any difference.
I suggest therefore that the next stage should be to get some other testers for the latest version of Activity Manager.
One small victory though. I sorted those four rogue activities with three letter names. In each case I retyped the first few lines of the Consist file and it cured things. I still can't see any difference but evidently there was.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 30 May 2020, 5:03 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for your replay Smile

Starting at the end of your post and working upwards -
No, you won't actually see any difference, but it's obviously a problem with Route_Riter.

I already have another tester and he's not reported anything. Mind you, he probably doesn't have an installation the size of yours! As a test, I set up an installation with 12 routes, 619 consists and 437 stock folders, but I seem to have a long way to go!

Are all the errors reported by ActMan for missing stock? Regarding that installation, do you still get the errors when you check "All Activities" individually for each route? If so, does Route_Riter report the same missing stock for the route/s?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sat 30 May 2020, 8:16 pm

Until I checked I didn't realise now much I have installed. I think it would be a useful exercise to store away those which are not very interesting. I tend to install a route, run over it a couple of times, and decide whether I like it. But I rarely then remove it. The same with stock, though that is often because it has been called up by a particular activity. A good start would be to identify unused stock and consists, and archive them. Also to archive some of the less exciting routes.
After that I will do some more tests and report back but it may take a while.
Re your question about ActMan are either missing stock or about capitalisation of file names.  In a few occasions the stock is missing - though I had not previously identified the fact - but that is a minority.
However, a first easy step would be to archive say half the routes and run ActMan again to see it if makes any difference. I'll let you know if I get any useful result.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sat 30 May 2020, 9:59 pm

A quick report.
Maximum number of routes before ActMan has problems seems to be 85. If there are more than this it is noticeable that it does not check the various folders when it is asked to check all activities. It then says many files are missing.
I hope this helps.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 30 May 2020, 10:18 pm

Hi Jonathan,
You posted :
In a few occasions the stock is missing - though I had not previously identified the fact - but that is a minority.
I hope I've got this right - only a minority of the stock was reported as missing.  If that is so, were they correct, ie was the stock REALLY missing?  After your previous report, I need to know that the program accurately reported the stock as missing; conversely, I also need to know if they were erroneously reported.  In this latter case, please supply full details - the ActMan report should give me everything I need. If the stock is not supplied with the route, its download location would be useful.

Thank you for your "quick report" - I'm not sure if I've got 85 routes altogether, but I'll see how near I can get!  Extra question for you - How much memory (RAM) does your PC have?

You did say that the size of your installation is "ridiculous" and I quite agree!! You're obviously not running MSTS - it would fall over at just the sight of it!! I have put it to my other tester and am awaiting his feedback.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sun 31 May 2020, 5:48 pm

No, I meant that only a minority of the stock reported as missing was in fact missing.
No, I only allowed the number of routes etc to grow after I gave up on MSTS. In fact I think it is time for a severe prune. Many of the American routes prove not to be very exciting anyway, though some are excellent.
You ask about the laptop.
It is an HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 17-cd0xxx
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40 GHz 2.40
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.84 GB usable)
I decided when the previous laptop started having problems, such as USB ports and keys not working, that for once I would buy a higher performance machine.
I can produce the kind of error report you ask for but I am not sure it will be very useful.
However, having done the test by reducing the number of routes I intend to do the same reducing the amount of rolling stock and separately the number of consists, and I will report back to you, though it may take a little while.
My European and ANZ folders have far less in, and run fine.
I think that in fact the only problem with ActMan may be that I simply overloaded it. As few other MSTS/Open Rails users are likely to do so I suggest that you stop worrying unless another tester comes up with anything.
Anyway, many thanks for your help and patience.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 31 May 2020, 10:44 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for your reply Smile

My other tester has reported back that he has a similar sized  installation to yours, except for the number of consists ( 98 routes,  6,606 stock folders and 12,425 consists ) and he has no problem, although he only checks one route at a time and doesn't use the "Check All Consists" option.

From your posts, it seems that you have the missing stock problem when checking an individual route - if that is so, I would like more details please, if only to identify the cause of the issue.

The simplest way I can think of is for you to identify a route which reports missing stock which isn't, create a new installation containing just that route and the stock and consists it uses then see if ActMan reports the same stock as missing. If it does, and the reports are false, then I do have a problem.  It's not that I'm worried, but I've never knowingly, released a program which contains errors (although some have been reported later!!).

You certainly have sufficient RAM and, although the CPU is a little slow, it wouldn't affect how MST_ActMan runs.  I'd NEVER use a laptop for running train sims, but that's just my personal choice!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 01 Jun 2020, 12:28 pm

I have just created the LPS route as a separate installation. It works perfectly and ActMan finds no errors.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 01 Jun 2020, 2:26 pm

I've followed this thread with interest, and remember in the dim and distant past - pre Open Rails and the other sim - I put all my routes into one MSTS folder along with all my stock and consists. If I do remember correctly, when I attempted to carry out checks with Route Riter some of the processes fell over in so far as even RR had it's limitations. Unfortunately I can't recall the figures. It was one of the reasons why Mini Routes and Mini Loader appealed to me!
I realise that this is not particularly helpful but I thought I would mention it anyway!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 01 Jun 2020, 4:22 pm

Hi Gentlemen,
Thanks for your replies Smile

One point I hadn't considered up until now, is that, as far as I know, my utilities are 32bit programs and Route_Riter is certainly a 32bit utility.  Problems could well arise if the 2GB limit for 32bit programs is exceeded, but I would have expected an "out of memory" error message.  If I was able to make MSTS_ActMan into a 64bit program, it would only run under a 64bit OS - I don't know if such a version of Windows 10 is generally available, but I'm pretty sure Win7 32bit is still quite commonly used.  

@Jonathan :  From your post, am I to assume that, in your mammoth installation, some stock for the LPS activities was reported as missing?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 02 Jun 2020, 8:00 am

Exactly
Attached is the report when I user ActMan on the whole American Routes folder to check the Activities for LPS. None of this is reported missing in the separate installation.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 02 Jun 2020, 10:00 am

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks, but, unfortunately, there was no attachment to your post!!

I am gradually building up a large "testing-only" MSTS installation, running ActMan at each stage, to see if I can find the 'tipping point' - it may take me a while as I'm only up to 31 routes, 3072 consists and 1301 trainset folders!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 05 Jun 2020, 6:42 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I have now got up to 63 routes, 7644 consists and 4342 stock folders!!

I have had ONE report of missing stock which isn't, and have found a reason for it. It may not be the same reason which causes your erroneous messages, but could I ask you to, please, send me the .eng or .wag files for two or three items which were reported as missing.

The check which is reporting this error may not be necessary - I have to test with MSTS and ORTS to confirm - but if it is required the actual message itself is wrong, and will be changed.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 17 Jun 2020, 10:11 am

Hi All,
Has anybody been in contact with Jonathan recently?
I ask because he hasn't responded to my post of  5 June, neither has he picked up a PM I sent last week.

I fully understand that real life always takes precedence over trainsimming, but I hope he's OK.

Ged

Keep Safe!

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Wed 17 Jun 2020, 12:19 pm

Alive and well and enjoying the summer weather in mid Wales. I have replied to Ged's PM to reassurer him.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Wed 17 Jun 2020, 2:37 pm

I decided just to get down and sort out the files for you. They should be attached.
I have now created a separate LPS route and put in it just the stock and consists used by its Activities. The zip file contains all the stock folders with their eng and wag files, and all the Consists.
I get no errors when I run Activity Manager.
I have also created a zip file of the error message I receive when LPS is part of the complete American Routes installation.
A third zip file contains all the Activity, Path, Service and Traffic files.
I hope this will help you. I still think that is it just the size of the installation.
Please let me know if there is anything else you need.
Jonathan
Attachments
TRAINS.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(375 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
report2.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(1 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
LPS Actvities etc.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(188 Kb) Downloaded 1 times

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 17 Jun 2020, 4:43 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for the files, and for letting me know you're OK Smile

However, as you've said ActMan doesn't show any errors now that it's outside of your 'mega' installation, I think they will be of very limited use.  It also indicates that the 'bug' I found is very unlikely to be the cause of your original error messages.

Also unlikely, from what I've been able to find out, is that the maximum capacity of any part of the program has been exceeded. If the 2GB limit had been exceeded, an 'Out of Memory' system message is more likely to be displayed.

One user action, which will almost certainly cause ActMan to show erroneous messages (if not worse!), is if any of the files being processed are changed, or deleted, while the program is running.  During the program's initialisation phase (ie before the "OK to continue" message), details of ALL the consists and ALL the .eng and .wag files of the installation are stored for later use.

Cheers,
Ged

Keep Safe!!

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 17 Jun 2020, 6:27 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I have now created a separate LPS route and put in it just the stock and consists used by its Activities. The zip file contains all the stock folders with their eng and wag files, and all the Consists.
I get no errors when I run Activity Manager.
Well, you've got me puzzled, especially regarding your last sentence!!

Using only the files you supplied, I ran MSTS_ActMan ...... and got an identical report to the one you uploaded!

This is only an initial report because I've now got to go through the 28 reported errors to determine if they are genuine, or not Smile I'm sure I've seen some of the errors before but am going to start from scratch again. Another report will be posted shortly.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 17 Jun 2020, 11:07 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks, again, for the files Smile

I have, finally, been able to locate the source of the problem.  I'm surprised nobody else has reported it because it is very likely to occur wherever the file name and/or folder name is contained in double quotes in the EngineData/WagonData entries of  'real' and 'loose' consists .

I hope to make a corrected version of the program available in a few days.

Cheers,
Ged

Keep Safe!!

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next