Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Chilterns

+4
Upkeep
docmartin
Bob Latimer
dforrest
8 posters

Go down

The Chilterns Empty The Chilterns

Post  docmartin Sun 19 Apr 2020, 2:56 pm

The route is now available for download on UKTrainSim.

DocMartin
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

The Chilterns Empty Re: The Chilterns

Post  andrew moody Mon 20 Apr 2020, 3:07 pm

Hello everyone.
I have down loaded all of the files and put all of the Routes and trains together in the appropriate folders. However in UKTS 39521, there is a application folder named train.
I am running windows 10 and I get the following message.
This application cannot run on your PC. to find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

Before I attempt to put the route into 1MSTS, Is it essential to have this application? And if so, How do I go about trying to locate the publisher?

Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Mon 20 Apr 2020, 3:18 pm

andrew moody wrote:Hello everyone.
I have down loaded all of the files and put all of the Routes and trains together in the appropriate folders. However in UKTS 39521, there is a application folder named train.
I am running windows 10 and I get the following  message.
This application cannot run on your PC. to find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

Before I attempt to put the route into 1MSTS, Is it essential  to have this application? And if so, How do I go about trying to locate the publisher?  

Cheers
Andy

Andy, you were given two options for installation in the installation readme file. One for MSTS and one for Open Rails. Which did you use?

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Mon 20 Apr 2020, 3:27 pm

Andy, as you note that you are putting to route in 1MSTS, I assume you are using MSTS. The following instruction should therefore have been followed:

2. For running in MSTS. Copy (or move) these folders to the “Train Simulator folder” or into a mini-route that has already been set up. Do not copy the “Train.exe” file

If you have copied it to your system, delete it. It is only needed for Open Rails standalone use to ensure that Route Riter runs. Do not overwrite your exiting train.exe file in 1MSTS with it.

David

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Latimer Mon 20 Apr 2020, 10:00 pm

Is this route available anywhere other than at UKTS?

Bob Latimer

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Mon 20 Apr 2020, 10:05 pm

No, Bob, I am afraid it isn't.

Martin
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Mon 20 Apr 2020, 10:08 pm

Bob Latimer wrote:Is this route available anywhere other than at UKTS?

Good day Bob, how are you?

No, the route is only available from UKTS.

Edit Apologies - I see Martin has already answered you!!!!

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Mon 20 Apr 2020, 10:58 pm

Bob, Why did you ask whether the route is available somewhere other than UKTS? Is it because you are not a premium member? Maybe we could help in some other way.

Regards, Martin
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Latimer Mon 20 Apr 2020, 11:17 pm

Hi Martin.

I'm not a Premium Member at UKTS for historical reasons (dating back several years to a Lifetime Ban on the forums handed out by Peter Peddlesden when I had the temerity to (tactfully) question one of his decisions).

If absolutely necessary I have, in the past, managed to download large files using the non-premium UKTS system and will take that approach for your route if I have to. An alternate, fast, download would be much preferable.

Regards,

Bob.

Bob Latimer

Back to top Go down

Post  Upkeep Tue 21 Apr 2020, 2:38 pm

I would love to try this route but like Bob Latimer for a number of reasons I am not keen to take out Premier Membership, not because of cost as it is quite reasonable. So like Bob I may have to consider the regular download system. Except that recently - in these difficult times - the queue for downloads is absolutely enormous. I saw yesterday that the queue had reached 45 and currently it is not much less than this. So I think the only thing we can do is to wait till things return to normal and then try and download part by part. Even this way is difficult, not just because of the very slow download, but also because if the connection gets interrupted you have to start again from scratch.

Obviously it would be terrific to have the download on this site, but I realise that these are often personal dropbox accounts and not everyone has these. I also have fun with a flight simulator and some of the contributors use Google Drive, which works pretty well.

Anyway, the route sounds very interesting (I travelled on a section to go to school when I was about six!), so I wish you every success with it.

All the best

Upkeep

Upkeep

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Tue 21 Apr 2020, 2:45 pm

Upkeep wrote:I would love to try this route but like Bob Latimer for a number of reasons I am not keen to take out Premier Membership, not because of cost as it is quite reasonable.

Can I ask what these reasons are?

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Tue 21 Apr 2020, 3:02 pm

Bob and Upkeep,

Go tohttps://onedrive.live.com/?id=root&cid=C663E17C937A0548 This is my OneDrive file sharing page.  I have uploaded the route to there and you are welcome to download it.  Be warned!  First it is 3.61 GB, so it will take a while.  Second, the route is still very much a Work-in-Progress and what I have uploaded is my working copy, which contains a lot of surplus files, particularly shape and texture files, that are not used at the moment.  Also, there are at least three blue poles in the route that I haven't yet been able to get rid of; fortunately, none of them is in a particularly critical location.  Third, the route is only partially sceneried; the section between Banbury and High Wycombe is fully sceneried; elsewhere the scenery is somewhat notional. Fourth, this upload does not contain any of the stock or activities which are included in the UKTS upload, so you will either have to write your own or download files 9, 10 and 11 which contain the stock and activities from UKTS.  And finally, although you can run the route in MSTS with limitations, it is really intended for and works best in Open Rails.  PLEASE READ the documentation, particularly the Installation instructions and the background text.  This could save you a lot of grief later.

I don't recall when I first started working on the route but it is not far off 20 years ago I guess.  I have taken the decision to upload it now in its incomplete state rather than wait until it is finished in some indefinite future and following a straw poll I took on this forum where the unanimous consensus was that the route should be released.  Though I say it myself, it is eminently playable and I think gives a good idea of what the line was like in the immediately pre-Beeching era.

I hope you don't have any problems downloading and installing the route.

Martin
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  Upkeep Tue 21 Apr 2020, 3:47 pm

Dear Martin,

Providing the link is very kind of you. Thank you very much. Unfortunately when I click the link it says 'Library is empty'.

Not sure what has gone wrong.

Anyway, thank you very much for offering an alternative solution and all your comments on the route noted.

All the best

Upkeep

Upkeep

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Tue 21 Apr 2020, 4:04 pm

I might need your email address in order to given you access. I am not that familiar with OneDrive so am still learning.

Martin
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 21 Apr 2020, 8:37 pm

Have you considered uploading it here?
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Wed 22 Apr 2020, 2:29 pm

Jonathan David wrote:Have you considered uploading it here?
Jonathan

Have you considered one month's subscription to the UKTS file library. It is only £2.50.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Wed 22 Apr 2020, 6:52 pm

I do have a period of subscribing from time to time, though most of the time there is now very little on UKTS for MSTS/OR - except when a whole lot comes all at once.
I made the suggestion in view of the fact that some contributors evidently do not feel able to subscribe to MSTS for various reasons.
It would have made less work for Martin than preparing it for MSTS as it could have been one file.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Wed 22 Apr 2020, 7:02 pm

Jonathan David wrote:I do have a period of subscribing from time to time, though most of the time there is now very little on UKTS for MSTS/OR - except when a whole lot comes all at once.
I made the suggestion in view of the fact that some contributors evidently do not feel able to subscribe to MSTS for various reasons.
It would have made less work for Martin than preparing it for MSTS as it could have been one file.
Jonathan

Jonathan, you now have two very good routes there, Chiltern and Plymouth to Penzance.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Wed 22 Apr 2020, 8:16 pm

Plymouth to Penzance is excellent. I downloaded it at the end of my last period of subscribing. It will take me weeks to explore it all.
And for something completely different I recently downloaded the Rio Grande Southern narrow gauge route from Trainsim. Also a long and beautiful route.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Wed 22 Apr 2020, 9:44 pm

docmartin wrote:I might need your email address in order to given you access.  I am not that familiar with OneDrive so am still learning.

Martin

I have one drive, perhaps I can help.

Move the file to your PUBLIC FOLDER.

When you have done that, click on the "tick" at the top right corner of the file icon so it turns blue.

Above the file you will see "SHARE". Click on that and then click on icon that says "COPY LINK".

Cut and paste link here. Job done.

Hope that helps!

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Thu 23 Apr 2020, 3:00 am

dforrest wrote:Andy, as you note that you are putting to route in 1MSTS, I assume you are using MSTS.  The following instruction should therefore have been followed:

2. For running in MSTS.  Copy (or move) these folders to the “Train Simulator folder” or into a mini-route that has already been set up. Do not copy the “Train.exe” file  

If you have copied it to your system, delete it.  It is only needed for Open Rails standalone use to ensure that Route Riter runs.  Do not overwrite your exiting train.exe file in 1MSTS with it.

David

Hi David.
You have answered my question on the UKTS forum, Thankyou,but I still have not  installed the Chiltern route yet it is still safely waiting on my desktop, as I am new to Open Rails
and have asked for help in the Open Rails forum on UKTS and would also appreciate some basic help of learning what does what and how to operate O R. If anyone can help please.
As I see it, I just need to over write GLOBAL, ROUTES,SOUND, TRAINS and UTIILS and I will be good to go.  
I do already have Clive Heards Plymouth to Penzance route, which "crashes" without warning on MSTS.  I have so far tried one activity a stopping service from Plymouth to Saltash
which I made a mess of when I got there, but certainly a great improvement than the standard MSTS.
Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Thu 23 Apr 2020, 3:07 am

Andy, do you intend to run the route in MSTS and Open Rails or in Open Rails only?

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Thu 23 Apr 2020, 1:32 pm

dforrest wrote:Andy, do you intend to run the route in MSTS and Open Rails or in Open Rails only?

Hi David.
I shall be running both Plymouth Penzance and Chiltern (Once I have sorted out the Trainset) on Open Rails.
I have tried P to P on MSTS and it "Crashes" without warning, so I would imagine Chiltern would be a total non starter on MSTS, especially as most of the activities only run in
O R. I intend to have a go at an P to P activity tonight and see how I get on.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Thu 23 Apr 2020, 1:41 pm

Andy, id you have no intention of running the Chiltern route on MSTS (which appears to be the case) I recommend that you use Option 1 of the install procedure:

1. For running in Open Rails independently from MSTS. Copy (or move) these folders and the train.exe file to an “Open Rails - Chiltern” folder anywhere on your system (“Program Files” and “Program Files (x86)” are not recommended). The location of this will be the path you refer to in Open Rails “Content” menu when establishing the profile.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Thu 23 Apr 2020, 9:19 pm

dforrest wrote:Andy, id you have no intention of running the Chiltern route on MSTS (which appears to be the case) I recommend that you use Option 1 of the install procedure:

1. For running in Open Rails independently from MSTS.  Copy (or move) these folders and the train.exe file to an “Open Rails - Chiltern” folder anywhere on your system (“Program Files” and “Program Files (x86)” are not recommended).  The location of this will be the path you refer to in Open Rails “Content” menu when establishing the profile.

Hi David.
What are the advantages of running option 1,as opposed to open rails via MSTS (My Plymouth to Penzance route is in my normal 1MSTS folder and my intention was to use the same method to install the Chiltern route.The one and only reason I have not done so yet, is that I downloaded over 100 items from UKTS downloads and I want to check especially the steam locos as normally they come with the standard Flying Scotsman or GP38 sound and cab files, which I hate.
As I have several alternative loco's of the same class with more authentic cabs and sound I want to test drive them on another route first before installing them.
I certainly want to have a go at driving one of those metropolitan electric locos and of course some steam activities.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Fri 24 Apr 2020, 3:34 pm

An update on possible problems with the running of the steam locos supplied with this route, with Open Rails.

For the brake system to operate as designed, the "Unstable" version of Open Rails must be used. If you are not already using it, follow these steps to install it:

1. Open Open Rails and choose "Options".

2. Choose "Updater" from the menu".

3. Choose the "Unstable" button and then click on "OK".

4. Choose to install the latest version when it is offered in the top-right corner of the Open Rails main menu.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Fri 24 Apr 2020, 3:36 pm

andrew moody wrote:
Hi David.
What are the advantages of running option 1,as opposed to open rails via MSTS (My Plymouth to Penzance route is in my normal  1MSTS  folder and my intention was to use the same method to install the Chiltern route.The one and only reason I have not done so yet, is that I downloaded over 100 items from UKTS downloads and I want to check especially the steam locos as normally they come with the standard Flying Scotsman or GP38 sound and cab files, which I hate.
As I have several alternative loco's of the same class with more authentic  cabs and sound I want to test drive them on another route first before installing them.
I certainly want to have a go at driving one of those metropolitan  electric locos and of course some steam activities.
Cheers
Andy

You should have no problem running it the way you propose.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Mon 27 Apr 2020, 4:17 am

Hello Everyone,

I am pleased to announce that the TSSH file hosting site is now home to Martin Phillips (DocMartin) The Chilterns route. These are the same 11 files that are currently also hosted on UKTS.

They are available now through the TSSH Download site: https://tsshonline.weebly.com/

Regards,
Justin

The Chilterns Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

https://tsforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

The Chilterns Empty Thank you

Post  Upkeep Mon 27 Apr 2020, 10:18 am

Thank you very much for putting the files on the site. Very helpful. I look forward to trying out this splendid route.

Thank you again
Best wishes
Upkeep

Upkeep

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Mon 27 Apr 2020, 12:08 pm

An update on possible problems with the running of the steam locos supplied with this route, with Open Rails.

For the brake system to operate as designed, the "Unstable" version of Open Rails must be used. If you are not already using it, follow these steps to install it:

1. Open Open Rails and choose "Options".

2. Choose "Updater" from the menu".

3. Choose the "Unstable" button and then click on "OK".

4. Choose to install the latest version when it is offered in the top-right corner of the Open Rails main menu.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Mon 11 May 2020, 10:58 am

Hello Everyone,

Martin has kindly provided the update patch for the The Chilterns route to be hosted on the TSSH file hosting site.

It is available now through the TSSH Download site: https://tsshonline.weebly.com/

Regards,
Justin

The Chilterns Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

https://tsforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down