Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weather change during an activity

2 posters

Go down

Weather change during an activity Empty Weather change during an activity

Post  StephenRWells Sat 03 Oct 2015, 5:48 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone tried adding the weather changing function during an activity?

I've studied the manual, tried following the instructions all to no avail - nothing happens. The time factor for the change gives no indication of which units to use which doesn't help. I also felt that the instructions weren't as comprehensive as other topics such as ai coupling/uncoupling.
Before anyone states the obvious - yes I have tried changing the weather manually with spectacular results so I know the basic function does work.
I was hoping to include this function in my latest activity but it will now have to wait for the next one as I want to get this one uploaded.

I have looked on other sites without success

Any help will be gratefully received,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Weather change during an activity Empty Re: Weather change during an activity

Post  StephenRWells Mon 05 Oct 2015, 10:46 pm

Hi All,

I have finally managed to get this function working and the results have been well worth all the effort. I started by re-establishing myself at Elvas Tower after a lot of searching to find how I originally registered and then had to go through "forgotten password" etc. Once in I found the right topic but couldn't understand the technical terms being used; however, by downloading and installing the weather test activity I could see the effects unfold. I then opened the activity file and could see exactly what had been done. Using the values given and inserting them in my activity everything worked!!!

I am still of the opinion that the instructions in the manual leave a lot to be desired - surely I'm not that thick in interpreting what was written?
An actual example would also have been a great help.

Now all I have to do is incorporate the weather changes in my current activity, so for those who are keen to see the effects, polish the rails in your SDJR and brush up your steam driving skills in OR - you will need good control of your loco to successfully run it to its conclusion.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:27 pm

StephenRWells wrote:Hi All,

I have finally managed to get this function working and the results have been well worth all the effort. I started by re-establishing myself at Elvas Tower after a lot of searching to find how I originally registered and then had to go through "forgotten password" etc. Once in I found the right topic but couldn't understand the technical terms being used; however, by downloading and installing the weather test activity I could see the effects unfold. I then opened the activity file and could see exactly what had been done. Using the values given and inserting them in my activity everything worked!!!

I am still of the opinion that the instructions in the manual leave a lot to be desired - surely I'm not that thick in interpreting what was written?
An actual example would also have been a great help.

Now all I have to do is incorporate the weather changes in my current activity, so for those who are keen to see the effects, polish the rails in your SDJR and brush up your steam driving skills in OR - you will need good control of your loco to successfully run it to its conclusion.

Regards,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,
That is great news.... Do you have the values to hand at all please from the Act in question? OK

Cheers

Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Tue 06 Oct 2015, 10:16 am

Hi Andy,

So far I've only tested the weather changes without spacing them throughout the activity.
The instructions in the manual for all the weather changes are:-

ORTSWeatherChange (
ORTSOvercast ( final_overcastFactor(float) overcast_transitionTime(int) )
ORTSFog ( final_fogDistance(float) fog_transitionTime(int) )
ORTSPrecipitationIntensity ( final_precipitationIntensity(float) precipitationIntensity_transitionTime(int) )
ORTSPrecipitationLiquidity ( final_precipitationLiquidity(float) precipitationLiquidity_transitionTime(int) )
)

ORTSContinue ( 0 ) - hides the message when not needed, higher values will give the time the message is displayed in secs.

Using the entries in the weather test activity you get:-

rain stop
 ORTSWeatherChange (
 ORTSPrecipitationIntensity ( 0 30) )

where 0 is rain stop and 30 is time in secs for it to stop

fog clears ( eg when raining at start )
  ORTSWeatherChange (  
  ORTSFog ( 10000 40) )

where visibility clears to 10000mtrs in 40secs

clouds clear

ORTSWeatherChange (
ORTSOvercast ( 0.05 60)   )

where clouds clear to 0.05 (%?) in 60secs
Put it all together you get

ORTSContinue ( 10 )
ORTSWeatherChange (  
 ORTSFog ( 10000 40)
 ORTSPrecipitationIntensity ( 0 30)
 ORTSOvercast ( 0.05 60) )

where any message clears after 10secs and the weather changes from poor visibility in the rain to a lovely clear sunny day.
The instructions are placed manually at the bottom of the Time Event entry before the final )

Please see the OR Manual for more details

I apologise if I've over simplified what to do but I hope that this will help everyone who wants to use this excellent function.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Fri 09 Oct 2015, 6:00 pm

Hi All,

I have successfully incorporated weather changes into my latest activity which has now been uploaded to UKTS as File ID: 34827 Name:S - Harbour Goods

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down