Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenji Kimura's Cabviews

+3
35005CP
StephenRWells
slipperman12
7 posters

Go down

Kenji Kimura's Cabviews Empty Kenji Kimura's Cabviews

Post  slipperman12 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:33 pm

Hi All,
I've recently been in communication with Kenji, seeking permission to make changes to some of the files in a couple of his Class 20 cabviews.
During our "conversation" he said he was getting old and is not able to make any more cabviews. Taking the opportunity, I asked him if he would give permission for any of his cabviews to be modified; this he has, very kindly granted, with the proviso that he retains their copyright. This last point is very important and any modified cab views must contain his original readme, if present, and any new readme must also contain his copyright clause.

If anyone requires copies of the emails which passed between us, please send me a PM quoting your email address (if you know I don't already have it!).

I have no intention of modifying any of Kenji's cabviews, other than those for the above-mentioned Class 20, so the field is wide open Smile

Currently this message only appears on this TSSH Forum and nowhere else.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Kenji Kimura's Cabviews Empty Re: Kenji Kimura's Cabviews

Post  StephenRWells Tue 16 Dec 2014, 11:01 am

Hi All,

Over the last year or so I have been creating night cabs for most of Kenji's cabviews for my personal use. Before making his announcement Ged and I had already been in contact about these cabviews. It is my intention over the next few months to upload to UKTS night and dusk versions of all of Kenji's caviews. I know that one or two have been produced for inclusion with the Greater Eastern and MidEastPlus routes; mine will be intended as an alternative for those who don't have those routes. Kenji will, of course, retain his copyright and his original readmes etc. will be included. Also my Wells Logo will not appear on the picture for the same reason.

The dusk view is something I have been experimenting with for some time - how many times have you thought that when running an activity in any "bad light" conditions that the day cab is too bright drowning out the view ahead? I have found that having a cabview about halfway between the day and night versions improves the situation vastly. Unfortunately it isn't perfect as the driver loco has to be set up specifically for that activity as currently there is no way that I know of for the cabview to automatically change from day to dusk to night and back again as the light conditions change. If someone knows how to do this I will be very interested to hear from them. My dusk views will automatically change to night and back again exactly the same as the standard day cabs. An example of what I have achieved can already be seen in Clive Heard's 1st Generation DMU Cabview V3 File ID: 33139 which I uploaded earlier this year.

I hope to produce these cabviews in the original upload order as time permits.

Any comments on what I am trying to achieve will be most welcome especially if any one else is doing the same thing.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:38 pm

Hi All,

I have now uploaded the following dusk and night versions of Kenji's cabviews.

They are Class 33 Cabview V3 UKTS file No. 33642
Class 31 Cabview V2 UKTS file No. 33643

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Fri 19 Dec 2014, 12:30 am

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for these uploads! Definitely going to be most welcome... The 33's to me I am most looking forward to seeing! Very Happy
This has been a great month!
Cheers
Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Tue 23 Dec 2014, 3:10 pm

Hi All,

I have just finished and uploaded Class 67 V2 - UKTS File Id 33668

This also contains versions which utilise the enhancements available for digital displays when using Open Rails.

Happy Christmas to one and all,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sun 04 Jan 2015, 11:40 am

Hi All,

File ID: 33712 Name:Class 56 Cabview V2 has just been uploaded and awaiting approval.

I should soon be able to upload the Class 25 and 37 Cabviews; these are virtually finished and just need final checking etc.

Regards,

Stephen

StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sun 04 Jan 2015, 11:51 am

Excellent news. Thank you.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:13 pm

Hi All,

File Id 33731 Class 25 Cabview V2  has now been uploaded and awaiting approval.

Like the Class 31 I have also included an optional Vacuum version - the difference is in the way the gauges work. I apologise to the purists if the gauges are not the same as in real life as I went on what looked reasonable to me.

Now to finish the Class 37.

Regards,

Stephen

Last edited by StephenRWells on Thu 08 Jan 2015, 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected a spelling mistake)
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehendle Thu 08 Jan 2015, 8:47 am

Stephen,
Many thanks for your upated cab's they will come in handy for loco's,in the library
Mike

Mikeex Zuid Afrikaans Sporweg employee[i]
mikehendle
mikehendle

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:13 pm

Hi All,

File ID: 33751 Name: Class 37 Cabview V3 has now been uploaded and awaiting approval.

The basic Dusk and Night cabs were completed some time ago but I had long been unhappy with the way the brake gauges worked. Over the last few days I have spent a lot of time trying to get something acceptable. This has probably been achieved at the expense of how they work in real life. One other problem I found that was with some Class37's the brakes are defined in different ways. To keep the gauges looking reasonable I have made different versions according to the brake types and the brake set up. Full details are given in the documentation included in the upload. If you in any doubt as to which version to use then use the "Cabview Default".

I may at some point in the future create a new version in which the present dummy gauges to right of the cab are animated. This won't happen until I have finished all the rest of Kenji's Cabviews.

Any comments on this cabview will be especially welcome as this has been a difficult one to try and get right.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sun 11 Jan 2015, 12:41 pm

You're doing a grand job updating these Cab Views and will certainly benefit all MSTS users. Thank you.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Tue 13 Jan 2015, 8:48 pm

Hi All,

File ID: 33771 Name:Class 59 Cabview V2 has now been uploaded and awaiting approval.

After the Class 37 this was a much easier one to create. For those who don't know, the real cab layout was based on the Class 58 to make driver familiarisation easier. This new version can, therefore, be considered suitable for both the Class 58 as well as the Class 59.

Next on the list is the Class 455 EMU cabview.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Wed 14 Jan 2015, 10:34 pm

Hi all,

File ID: 33774 Name:Class 455 Cabview V2 has been uploaded.

This was even easier than the Class 59 as there are less dials to illuminate and gauge readings to check.

Next on the list is the Class 66.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sun 18 Jan 2015, 2:05 pm

Hi All,

File ID: 33819 Name:Class 66 Cabview V2 has now been uploaded.

Next on the list is the Class 57.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Wed 21 Jan 2015, 2:50 pm

Hi All,

File ID: 33831 Name:Class 57 Cabview V2 has now been uploaded.

Next on the list is the Class 90

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:37 pm

Hi All,

File ID: 33846 Name:Class 90 Cabview V2 has now been uploaded.

I am not 100% happy with this one so I intend to have a further look at it either when I've finished all the others or sooner if someone suggests suitable improvements.

The next one is the Class 20. This one I basically completed some time ago so all that is left is final testing etc. This cabview was originally uploaded as 2 versions - one front view and the other as rear view. With the advent of the bin patch I see no necessity to keep it that way so I shall include all the different cabviews as 1 upload. If I've got everything right then cab switching in the normal double headed mode should mean changing from rear cab in the leading loco to rear cab in the helper loco and vice versa.

In between these cabviews I'm enjoying catching up with driving on the newest available routes.

Regards,

Stephen

StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sun 25 Jan 2015, 7:41 pm

You're certainly doing an excellent job with these updated cab views, and I'm sure I speak for many in saying thank you.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Thu 29 Jan 2015, 12:05 pm

Hi All,

File ID: 33865 Name:Class 20 Cabview V2 has now been uploaded.

This has proved a greater challenge than I expected as although the basic Dusk and Night views had both been created, some of the needle positions and readings needed tweaking. At the same time I realised that I had only done the Blue engine version. When I originally modified the cabview I had changed the original right view to a proper one. The original right view has been retained as well as my proper right view. Along with the Green engine versions this has now produced a massive 32 cvf files. I have tried to keep the installation as simple as I can but, please read the installation instructions carefully. The gauges are all set for air brakes. To try and set them as vacuum brakes will involve creation of another 32 cvfs which, I think, will make the whole cabview folder too unwieldy. If anybody wishes to do this then please feel free to alter my settings as you think fit.

As ever, any comments are welcome.

Next one is the Class465 Networker - this was virtually finished some months ago so should soon be ready.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 29 Jan 2015, 2:11 pm

Excellent work again Stephen. Thank you.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sat 31 Jan 2015, 11:02 pm

Hi All,

File ID: 33879 Name:Class 465 Cabview V2 has now been uploaded.

Next is the Class 60

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Wed 04 Feb 2015, 3:48 pm

Hi All,

File ID: 33893 Name:Class 60 cabview V3 has now been uploaded.

As the Classes 168, 170, 171 and 180 all have very similar cabs I shall be uploading these first before doing the remainder in their correct numerical order. This will make illuminating the dials easier, I hope - time will tell.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sun 08 Feb 2015, 10:05 pm

Hi All,

The following files have now been uploaded:-

File ID: 33905 Name:Class171 Cabview V3
File ID: 33906 Name:Class170 Cabview V2
File ID: 33907 Name:Class168 Cabview V2

My original plan was to include the Class 180 cabview with these but I quickly realised that it is completely different from the Classes 168,170 and 171 so it will remain in it's correct modification order.

The Class 170 and 171 cabviews were originally fitted with a clock in the bottom of the speedometer dial but when using MSTS the clock digits were far too big and couldn't be displayed properly. I don't know if it is possible to change the font in MSTS to make the readings fit the available space, so I have, therefore, changed the clock for a digital speedometer. For those using Open Rails not only is there the option to have the digital clock reinstated, but a speed limit gauge could be used instead, if required.

The Class 168 cabview had an empty box in the bottom of the speedometer dial. I have placed a digital speedometer in this box for the default cabview which is set up for MSTS. As the digital displays are out of position when using Open Rails these are corrected in the Open Rails version. Also when using Open Rails there is a second option, that of a speed limit display in place of the digital speedometer.

The speed limit displays may not be correct for the real life cabs but they can be useful as something different, or especially as when running an activity with the F4 Display closed, you are constantly reminded of the current line speed.

Next on the list is the Class 43 HST cabview. I know other people have produced their night cabs but I will add mine to the available options along with the Dusk View.

Regards,

Stephen

StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sun 08 Feb 2015, 10:40 pm

Your CabView output is much to be admired. Thank you.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Fri 13 Feb 2015, 10:47 am

Hi All,

File ID: 33922 Name:Class 43 HST Cabview V3 has now been uploaded.

I had done most of this one some time ago but on closer examination I decided that some things didn't look quite right so I have started from scratch again. This time, I think, I have achieved a better result. For those using Open Rails there is a separate version which keeps the digital speedometer in the right place. Again with Open Rails there is also the option to use a speed limit display as with the Turbostar Cabviews.

Next is the Class 180.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sun 15 Feb 2015, 10:39 pm

Hi All,

File ID: 33938 Name:Class 180 cabview V2 has now been uploaded. When testing I used the model created by Ben Laws which has the power cars both facing the same way meaning that no reverse cabviews were needed. However, should anyone should need a reverse cabview if they could get in touch with me then I'll produce the necessary files.

Next will be the Class 390 EMU.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Mon 16 Feb 2015, 10:56 pm

Hi All,

File ID: 33941 Name:Class 390 Cabview V3 has now been uploaded.

As with the Class 180 it seems that a reverse cabview isn't needed but if again if any body wants one then I'll be happy to oblige.

The Class 220 is next but probably not for a few more days.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:16 pm

Hi All,

While taking a short break from upgrading Kenji's cabviews I have created a short activity for the Glasgow_Carlisle Route. This will not be uploaded yet as I wish to sort out a few other cabview issues first.

The Class 220 DEMU cabview is basically also finished but I am in a slight quandary over one of the dials - the one under the speedometer. In Kenji's original version this is a Speed Limit Display which while it works adequately in OR is useless in MSTS. The version produced by Making Tracks has it as Brake Pipe Dial which to my mind doesn't work very well in either sim. I have tried using it as a Load Meter Dial which does work well with both sims. The question is, which is right, and if none, what should it be?

Looking ahead to the Class 150/1 DMU cabview; in the original cabview the front view is given as 150_1front1024.ace and a corresponding 150_1right1024.ace. Also in my 150cab folder is 150_2front1024.ace and 150_2right1024.ace for the later corridor connection 150/2 units along with the all the relevant .cvf files. I don't know where these extra files came from. They must be Kenji's work as the quality is the same. While the 150_2front1024.ace appears correct the 150_2right1024.ace is actually the right view from the Class455 which doesn't match. The question is when the time comes can I include 150_2front1024.ace or will I be in breach of copyright?

In the meantime I shall make start on the Class 334 EMU Cabview.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 01 Mar 2015, 7:10 pm

Hi Stephen,
It appears that the 150_2front1024.ace and 150_2right.ace files are from the Making Tracks Class 150 cabview in Great/Greater Eastern route ( and probably others).

The front, left and right 150_1 ace files in Kenji's upload (UKTS_12377) have exactly the same sizes as those in MT's version, but they are dated 16/8/2010 whereas Kenji's are dated 5/6/2005

The front and right 150_2 ace MT files are also dated 16/8/2010.   If yours are so dated, I feel you may have come up to a buffer stop Sad

Hope this helps Smile   ... but it probably doesn't, very much!!

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : There is a 150/2 cabview in the UKTS library by Graham Parkin - File ID 5692 (at least, I think it's for a 150/2!!)

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sun 01 Mar 2015, 9:50 pm

Hi Ged,

Thanks for the information. It looks as though you are right that they came from Making Tracks except for the dates. I've searched through my back up files and found that there are even earlier dates. The 150_2front1024.ace is dated 26-09-2006 whereas the 150_2right1024.ace is dated 22-01-2005 which is the same as the 455right1024.ace ( 6 months before the Class 150 was released ). Also in the Making Tracks Common.Cab Folder is a Class156 Cabview by Kenji with the readmeCAB dated 25 Sep 2004 which is earlier than all of his other cabviews and unavailable at UKTS. I might contact Dave Babb to see if it is possible to use these files.

Graham Parkin's 150/2 cab is one I might add the night cab - for my own purposes only.

Thanks again,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway Mon 02 Mar 2015, 9:38 am

Hi Stephen and Ged, looking in my MT_common.cabs folder revealed the two 150_2 files dated 31/10/2010,
so they are later even than the one Ged has.

Bob
Scampispeedway
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Thu 05 Mar 2015, 11:02 pm

Hi All,

Much to my surprise I haven't had any feedback on my Class 220 cabview query. I have decided to use the version with the load meter dial as this works well with both MSTS and OR. I have now uploaded this and the Class 334 cabviews.

They are :-

File ID: 34002 Name:Class 220 Cabview V3
File ID: 34003 Name:Class 334 Cabview V2

I have retained the speed limit display version so if anyone prefers this then if they could let me know then I will send it to them.

This just leaves 3 to go - Class 73, Class 150 and Class 86.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Mon 09 Mar 2015, 10:55 am

Hi All,

File ID: 34010 Name:Class 73 Cabview V3 has now been uploaded.

This now leaves just the Class 150 and Class 86 both of which should be finished by the end of the month.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 09 Mar 2015, 11:35 am

These expanded cab views show that there is always room to improve the scope for MSTS. Once again thank you.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Mon 16 Mar 2015, 6:48 pm

Hi All,

These two cabviews

File ID: 34036 Name:Class 150 Cabview V2
File ID: 34037 Name:Class 86 Cabview V2

have now been uploaded.
This completes all of Kenji Kimuras cabviews that are available at UKTS. There are two more of his that I know of - Class150_2 and Class 156 both of which are supplied with the Making Tracks Great/Greater Eastern Routes - see my post on Sun Mar 01 2015. As these also have the night and reverse cabs the set is effectively complete - all that is missing are relevant Dusk cabs. I would, of course, require permission from the Making Tracks Team to make either or both of these available to all.

Bringing these cabviews up to date has been a challenging and rewarding experience and has made a pleasant change from activity creation and activity running. Following a request from Niall Grey I shall now turn my attention to creating a few activities for his Glas2Car Route. Further information will appear in my S - Activities Topic in due course.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:03 pm

Hi Stephen,
Thank you for all your efforts to update Kenji's cabviews.
I'm sure they're being well received by the Community Smile

Well Done !!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:23 pm

slipperman12 wrote:
Cheers,
Ged

You're not wrong there, and I'm only too pleased to add my thanks.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  sbowness Mon 16 Mar 2015, 8:45 pm

rufuskins wrote:
slipperman12 wrote:
Cheers,
Ged

You're not wrong there, and I'm only too pleased to add my thanks.

Me too. I've installed one so far and it is light years ahead of the original. At some point I'll work out how to get the consists that are using generic cabviews fixed. Thanks for a huge effort.

Stephen
sbowness
sbowness

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Mon 16 Mar 2015, 10:32 pm

Thanks ever so much for these uploads.....

If you are able to I would love to see the following cab views..

1) Hastings DEMU Cabview

2) Class 444 Desiro Cabview

Many Thanks once again Very Happy

Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:08 am

Hi Andy,

I can't create cabviews from scratch; all I can do is alter the textures to create the dusk and night versions and illuminate the dials. There is a DEMU cabview by Clive Heard available, which when his permission is obtained I can do. However, the Class444 Desiro I don't have and I suspect is only available from Making Tracks which means getting permission is unlikely.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Thu 19 Nov 2015, 10:07 am

Hi All,

A very, very belated thank you to all those who have given their support and appreciation to this project.

Back in early October I emailed Kenji requesting permission to upload my versions of his cabviews to TSSH online and to date I still haven't had a reply ( or the email rejected ). I have been in contact with Justin and he has said that he sees no reason why they cannot be added to this file hosting site. These cabviews are now all available at TSSH online with Kenji, as before, retaining copyright and his original readmes included. If anyone has any objections to these being available here can they please contact me, Justin or one of the other moderators so that an amicable solution can be found.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 19 Nov 2015, 1:25 pm

Hi Stephen,
It could be that Kenji is now too frail to deal with emails and such-like, or, heaven forbid, he may have left us for a better place.

Although the emails I had from him in November last year were very short, I'm certain he wouldn't have any objections to modified versions of his cabviews being made available here! The only condition he made was that he retained copyright and this, I know, you have honoured.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sat 26 Dec 2015, 11:39 am

Hi All,

During a tidy up of my Dropbox for my TSSH online uploads I inadvertently broke all the links. I have now restored the links so all should be well again. My thanks to Alistair Cowell for bringing this to my attention.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down