Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting bathroom tiles?

3 posters

Go down

Painting bathroom tiles? Empty Painting bathroom tiles?

Post  rufuskins Tue 27 May 2014, 1:28 pm

Has anyone here attempted to paint over bathroom tiles, and if so how successful was it?

One of SWMBO's tasks is to titivate the bathroom. It is completely tiled on all four walls, and I don't fancy stripping all the tiles off because I'm sure this will require some re-plastering before re-tiling around the bath/shower area and painting elsewhere!

There are two choices clean out existing grout and replace, or as noted above paint over the tiles. I am aware that tile paint exists and that ideally it's best to apply using a small roller. Therefore the big question is will it look OK, and hence the query?

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Painting bathroom tiles? Empty Re: Painting bathroom tiles?

Post  StephenRWells Tue 27 May 2014, 3:39 pm

Hi Alec,

Personally I have no idea, and as all four of your walls are I tiled I wouldn't even want to try painting them. Re-grouting is very fiddly and time consuming with the added risk of damaging the tiles. Replacing them is presumably too expensive, so I should very respectfully tell her that if titivating the bathroom involves something to do with the tiles she should do it herself - and retreat rapidly.

Slightly tongue in cheek,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 27 May 2014, 3:58 pm

Mmmm . . . not too sure that that's the best approach!  Shocked   Shocked   Shocked  Mind you it had crossed my mind!

I had contemplated using "Stick and Go" tiling but that would be quite expensive as well.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Tue 27 May 2014, 11:32 pm

Personally I wouldn't bother ever painting tiles ever again! It hasn't been successful for me in the past. It tends to strip over-time and then there is the fact that you have to be careful that you have to keep it on the tile and not the grout. If I was to do my bathroom, I would strip it completely and most certainly re-tile. (Unfortunately I can't as I live in a rented property.

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Wed 28 May 2014, 6:57 am

Were I to go for tile painting I would paint over the grout. I've looked at a couple of "youtube" clips and these showed the grout to be painted over. I won't be deciding until after our break, and after I've done some external painting.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Wed 28 May 2014, 11:45 pm

Alec,
We've just finished re-decorating the whole of out place last weekend! I spent some 3 days filling and sanding and when they say it's all in the prep! They aren't arf' right! I think it takes more time in the prep work than it does in the decorating! My Father-In-Law and myself managed to do the whole painting in 2 days! (Well about 2 half days actually to be precise) starting at 9am and finishing by about 2pm. This was all the Coving, Ceilings and Walls and using painters mate around the door frames and window frames to fill in the cracks and bring it out in a straight line to make good. (Our Landlord will be proud of what I/we have done to this place) Paint is on order for when my little girl is away next week back at school, so I can undercoat and gloss the door frames with a slight sand before doing so.
With this and my business I am starting up as well as modelling and having a family and home life, you have to imagine how I fit it all in.???.... And who says Men can't multi-task!! That one has to be an ole wives tale!  Shocked Cool 
Cheers
Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 29 May 2014, 7:22 am

I'll admit that my ability to multi task is not that great as each task often ends up unfinished. That's certainly true of my MSTS efforts, where I get caught between HFL, FG DMU and TSM.

Anyway I'm more or less decided that re-grouting may be the least worst of the available options.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down