Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unzipping "spanned" files - please help me!!

3 posters

Go down

Unzipping "spanned" files - please help me!! Empty Unzipping "spanned" files - please help me!!

Post  rufuskins Tue 21 May 2013, 6:58 am

Can anyone help me please? Not only to open these but also to potentially save my marriage? Shocked Shocked Shocked
I am trying to install Warrington Railways route, that requires spanned files to be unzipped. Now I know that 7zip can't do the business and hence I have the evaluation version of WinZip, but I still can't get them to unzip or do anything. The computer room at home has turned an extremely deep colour of blue, and my good lady wife is unimpressed with my language!
I would really appreciate an idiot's guide to opening and installing such files, because obviously I am totally incapable of doing it. It could then be turned into an entry for the HFL area, as it is possible that if there are others who struggle like me then it could put them off MSTS! The download count for the files is in excess of 8000, and therefore someone somewhere must have coped.
I don't mind in the least to be shown to be as thick as two short planks, as my sanity will be saved!
Please, please, please help me, Alec

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Unzipping "spanned" files - please help me!! Empty Re: Unzipping "spanned" files - please help me!!

Post  35005CP Tue 21 May 2013, 9:14 am

Hi Alec, Have you tried highlighting all the files and extracting them to a folder such as Warrington Railways on the Desktop using WinZip or WinRAR?
Cheers
Andy
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Unzipping "spanned" files - please help me!! Empty Re: Unzipping "spanned" files - please help me!!

Post  rufuskins Tue 21 May 2013, 9:17 am

Andy
Thanks for the hint, and I'll retry this evening.
Alec

PS Mmmm . . . have just read a thread on Trainsim that suggests that Route Riter can deal with spanned files - can't check until this evening?

Last edited by rufuskins on Tue 21 May 2013, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Tue 21 May 2013, 9:43 am

Alec,
From what I remember you have to copy to a temporary folder on your PC, then highlight all the files and unpack using WinZip or WinRAR. Let us know how you get on?
Thanks
Andy
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Tue 21 May 2013, 11:54 am

Hi Alec

You need to put all the files into one folder then rename the ".z0#" files by removing the "UKTS_####_" part of the filename leaving just the "WCML.z0#" part of the filename, do that to all the ".z0#" files and it should then extract as normal. OK

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 21 May 2013, 12:28 pm

Mark
Thanks for that, and as I said earlier I will see whether I can manage it this evening.
Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 21 May 2013, 6:49 pm

With gritted teeth I can confirm that I can't install this route - not even to save my life, and so its back to the beginning!
When I download the files this is what I start with:-
Unzipping "spanned" files - please help me!! Warrin10
Therefore I need someone to explain what I do next please?
Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Tue 21 May 2013, 6:59 pm

Hi Alec

Rename as below ...............

From UKTS_8019_WCML to WCML.zip
From UKTS_8021_WCML to WCML.z01
From UKTS_8022_WCMLz02 to WCML.z02
From UKTS_8023_WCMLz03 to WCML.z03
From UKTS_8024_WCMLz04 to WCML.z04
From UKTS_8025_wcmlpatch1 to wcmlpatch1.zip

Then try it again. OK

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 21 May 2013, 7:09 pm

OK, sanity has been restored - well nearly!

The problem was UKTS_8021_WCML, which you should have noticed did not have the z01 extension!

I then found this comment on UKTS In Windows Explorer go to Tools/Folder Options, then select the View tab and look for the line called "Hide file extensions for known file types" and make sure that's switched OFF... No tick in the box. 'OK' out again, and then have another look at the files you downloaded and make sure there's no extra suffixes.. This was directed to XP users, where as in W7 you need to go to "organise", then "folder and search options", then "view" and then untick the "hide file, etc."

It has now installed, but what pain was suffered in the process!

Thank you Mark and Andy for your efforts; perhaps you might be able to offer some marriage guidance counselling after looks from SWMBO with respect to my response to the inanimate object known as my computer!

Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down