Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3D Modeling Software

+3
dee4141
mendes
Markh5682
7 posters

Go down

3D Modeling Software Empty 3D Modeling Software

Post  Markh5682 Sat Mar 30 2013, 22:29

Hi All

As some of you know, I do occasionally create content for MSTS, at the moment I am creating snap together scenery, up to now I have always used TSM for this, but it does have it's limitations.

I notice that many people use other programs such as 3D Canvas, GMAX, 3D Studio, SketchUp etc to create models.

I was wondering if any of you model makers could recommend something to a relatively novice 3D modeller, or would I be better off sticking with TSM?

I would want something that does not have too steep a learning curve, and is relatively easy to convert to MSTS content, I wouldn't want it to do anything too fancy like animating valve gear on locomotives etc. at the most I might want to do a little animating on scenery items.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

3D Modeling Software Empty Re: 3D Modeling Software

Post  Markh5682 Sat Mar 30 2013, 23:35

Have just followed the links on Alec's Getting starting thread (3D modelling section) and it would seem that 3D Canvas would suit my purposes best, although there is no mention of Sketchup.

3D canvas can import models from TSM, but the free version does not export to MSTS, I may give it a try to see how I get on with it, and if I like it, I can purchase the licensed version that does export to MSTS at a later date.

Any help, advice or experiences from you guys that have used some of these programs would be appreciated. Very Happy

Thanks, Mark

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  mendes Sun Mar 31 2013, 00:13

My only 3D modelling experience is creating steam locos with TSM which I reckon was probably going in at the deep end.

I have looked into 3DC and up until recently had discounted it as the Free version would not work on my machine. The release of last September DOES work and I am seriously considering splashing out on the full version, even though I feel very comfortable with TSM. I suspect that it's going to be a steep learning curve but at least I know which way x,y and z co-ordinates go and they are now permanently imprinted on my shot to pieces brain!!

I reckon that the cost is somewhere in the region of about fifty quid, but if you fully exploit the program then it should provide hours of diversion plus enjoyment for anyone who cares to use any creations produced.

mendes
mendes

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sun Mar 31 2013, 00:35

Thanks Mendes.

I have just downloaded the free version of 3DC, will have a play with it later.

As an engineer I was fully aware of XYZ coordinates and suchlike long before computer 3D programs even existed, so I found that aspect of modelling really easy to do, these days engineers now use software instead of the pencil, paper, rulers and gauges that we used to use. Very Happy

When computer numerical control (CNC) machines were introduced, we could imput our XYZ coordinates directly into them and let them do the work of cutting and shaping the prototypes which made life a lot easier. (imagine doing all that by hand like we used to do Shocked )

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sun Mar 31 2013, 03:04

Just loaded up 3DC, and was completely lost with it Sad will have to try some steam4me tutorials to find out what does what.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 Sun Mar 31 2013, 10:26

I bought 3DC a couple of years ago when I was trying Railworks. I managed to get some TSM scenery models into Railworks using 3DC but failed to transfer any rolling stock. If I decided to try Railworks seriously then I would definately take more time to learn 3DC, but as things stand, TSM is quite adequate for MSTS and OR so there is not the incentive.
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sun Mar 31 2013, 14:39

Thanks Danny.

Will have a play around with 3DC but I'll probably end up sticking with what I know.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun Mar 31 2013, 19:35

I can only build simple models, but those I did were all in Sketchup, which does export to MSTS easily enough (you download a plug-in). Only good for static, non-animated items.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sun Mar 31 2013, 20:54

I obviously need to do an addendum for SketchUp. I did look at that for myself but typically I procrastinated!
I have a copy of 3DC and therefore should use that if and when I try my hand at modelling!
Alec

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sun Mar 31 2013, 21:23

Thanks Niall and Alec.

I have downloaded the 3DC tutorial videos by Nick Fletcher from Steam4me, these videos do not assume that you are familiar with the program and starts you off with the basics and works up from that.

I did download Sketchup on the other computer before it blew up, didn't get very far with it though, might try it again.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Sun Mar 31 2013, 21:43

Hi all,
I would love to get into this side of MSTS, but firstly I would like to try reskinning and in particular a DEMU and a MK1 Pullman Coach (In the disguise of 35028's Support Coach 'Mercator') Do any of these applications enable you to do this and are they easy enough to do for a first time such as myself?
Many Thanks!
Happy Easter all!
Andy
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sun Mar 31 2013, 22:08

Hi Andy

I have had a go at re-skinning in the past, I just converted the ace file back to a .bmp or a .tga file (if it contained an alpha transparency) using aceit, repainted the livery in a graphics program such as PSP or Photoshop, then used aceit to convert it back to an ace file again, not sure if that is the correct way to do it, but it worked for me.

Alec is probably the best one to talk to about re-skinning.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  mendes Mon Apr 01 2013, 01:10

I actually think that reskinning is easier than producing activities.

The key to it is TGATools which you can use to open an ACE file and send the main or Alpha image to your graphics program (Paint, PSP, GIMP or whatever) amend it and then reload it. You can then export it back to the ACE file or to a BMP file.

I'm coming round to the idea that the texturing of models is a hell of a lot more difficult than the actual creation of them. You create a loco boiler for example and it's either the right size and shape or not. Colouring it in is another matter. Should it be black, grey, shiny, rusty etc etc. If it's green then it gets even worse! I have four different shades of Brunswick Green none of which I'm really happy with.

It may be paranoia on my part but I don't doubt that all the people that think that are out to get me.

I think it helps if you have an inbuilt artistic streak and I'm the wrong sort of artist if you get my drift!!

mendes
mendes

Back to top Go down

Post  emufarmer Mon Apr 01 2013, 10:30

Mark.
I have always used TSM for all my Animated Aircraft and my other Animated and plain Models, and I have never had a failure or rejection from MSTS, but its what Mendes says is that it is the preparation of the Image that is the most important and I always use BMP instead of Tga.file, and I always make my final Ace files in TGA2.
My little project at the moment and its taking months to get right is a animated Waterfall, (Don't blame me if it fails though)

Frank
emufarmer
emufarmer

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon Apr 01 2013, 11:16

Like Martin I use TGATools2 (Aceit version) and the way I use it is described in Part 13 of the HFL section. The best way for each of us is the way we know; may not be efficient but the end results are the same. The critical part of Part 13 is the choice of "painting" programme. If you want it easy like me chose MSPaint, but if you want to be able to tweak for weathering, etc. chose PSP or similar. Finally I would suggest that we accept that compromise is another part of the game.
Alec

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum