Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Computer but unable to run Train Simulator need administrator privileges?

4 posters

Go down

New Computer but unable to  run Train Simulator need administrator privileges? Empty New Computer but unable to run Train Simulator need administrator privileges?

Post  andrew moody Thu 19 May 2022, 1:36 am

Hi Everyone.
I have a Dell inspiron intel is 10400 with a nVidia Geforce GTX1650 graphics card and am still on W10.
I have loaded Microsoft Train Simulator Explosiv version following all of the instructions including changing from C:\Program files X86 to D:\1MSTS. but when I try to run one of the routes I get a message saying that I have to have administrator privileges and try again.
What are these "Administrator privileges? and where can I get them from? Can anyone help me get 1MSTS to work, any help very much appreciated.
Many thanks Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

New Computer but unable to  run Train Simulator need administrator privileges? Empty Re: New Computer but unable to run Train Simulator need administrator privileges?

Post  StephenRWells Thu 19 May 2022, 9:49 am

Hi Andy,

Right Click on MSTS desktop icon, select Compatibility, Tick "Run as Administrator" and that should be it.
You will also need to do the same in "D:\1MSTS\train.exe -rungame"

Hope this helps,

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

New Computer but unable to  run Train Simulator need administrator privileges? Empty Re: New Computer but unable to run Train Simulator need administrator privileges?

Post  andrew moody Thu 19 May 2022, 1:21 pm

StephenRWells wrote:Hi Andy,

Right Click on MSTS desktop icon, select Compatibility, Tick "Run as Administrator" and that should be it.
You will also need to do the same in "D:\1MSTS\train.exe -rungame"

Hope this helps,

Stephen

Deleted.

Last edited by andrew moody on Thu 19 May 2022, 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 19 May 2022, 1:33 pm

Hi Stephen and Andy,
Sorry Stephen, but you've given an incorrect instruction!

I assume by quoting : "D:\1MSTS\train.exe -rungame"  you are referring to the Desktop shortcut.  If so, it will not work!

The '-rungame' part only applies to launcher.exe and should not be included within the double-quotes.

When using 'train.exe', the entry should be :  "D:\1MSTS\train.exe" - mem:2048 /nofiltercab:1
The double quotes are only required when there are spaces in the path - in this case, they are not necessary, but will do no harm.
The ' -mem:2048' parameter allocates the maximum memory that MSTS can use (it's actually about 1600) and the '/nofiltercab:1' parameter removes the hairlines sometimes seen in the cabview front screen.

Also, it's  train.exe  (in the 1MSTS folder) which needs to be right-clicked, Properties selected and its Compatibility tab clicked, then the "Run this program as an administrator" box checked.

I'm assuming that you, Andy, have followed ALL the instructions in the Steam4Me tutorial and applied the v1.4 update.  Without it, MSTS will not run in Win 10.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Thu 19 May 2022, 3:21 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Stephen and Andy,

I'm assuming that you, Andy, have followed ALL the instructions in the Steam4Me tutorial and applied the v1.4 update.  Without it, MSTS will not run in Win 10.

Cheers,
Ged
Hi Ged.
No, I did not even think about Steam4Me as I lost the site with a lot of other stuff when my old external drive totally failed, two years ago and now I have a new computer/tower, I want to reload 1MSTS.
I googled Steam 4 me and had a look at the tutorial but will look through it again this evening to make sure I follow procedure correctly.
It must be 18 months or so since I last ran Train Simulator, Not quite shore where to find update v1.4. Is it at UKTS or Steam 4 me?
A bit busy outside this afternoon but will have a go at installing this evening.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 19 May 2022, 4:36 pm

Hi Andy,
If you follow the Steam4Me tutorial (https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/installing_msts_win10.html) it will guide you to the v1.4 update.

One thing is missing from that tutorial.  
Right-click train.exe (and launcher.exe), select Properties, then the Compatibility tab.  Click the "Run this program as an administrator" box so that a tick appears, then click "Apply" followed by "OK".

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Fri 20 May 2022, 10:17 pm

Well, I have followed the Steam4me tuitional to the letter without success First with the "Explosiv" version and the second time
with the original 2001 version, both ending in failure! just going back to desktop each time.
One thing, I am not seeing  is the DVD RW Drive pop up which has the Run setup EXE/Open folder to view files/Take no action icon.

I had to find the setup exe file and manually tick the Run as administrator box.
When I got to the screen that says Train Simulator has been installed successfully! the four boxes on the S4me tutional read
Restart Register Online View Readme and setup menu, except the top left hand icon on my computer said play game!
I was able to install the 25 updates version 1.4 and also the 28 techDoc updates but I was unable to Make a copy of the
Global folder, for some reason my computer would not do it, TBH I am unclear why there is a need to copy the global folder?
So feeling some what frustrated, I really don't know what else to do right now.

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sat 21 May 2022, 9:38 am

Hi Andrew,
I have heard that MSTS will not run on a 4K screen, my MSTS would no longer run, I had recently bought a new monitor with 4K resolution, and the resolution problem is probably the reason why it no longer runs, has your new computer got a high resolution screen? (above 1080p) Ged will probably know more about this than I do.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 21 May 2022, 11:40 am

Hi Andy & Mark,
Thanks for the compliment, Mark, but I'm not up to speed with the 4K monitors, having a 1080 one myself!  I seem to remember mention of the problem on a Forum some time ago, but can't recall if there was a solution.

Andy : When you applied the v1.4 update, did you follow the instruction to change the target path?  If not, the update would have gone to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator !  If you don't have a 4K screen, that is most likely why MSTS doesn't start.   You can easily check if the v1.4 update has been applied - open the folder containing train.exe;  if it's size is NOT 3997KB then the update has not been applied.

Although I never do it, it's a worry why you can't copy the GLOBAL folder because it could point to other possible problems.  When you try to copy, what happens? What message/s do you get?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sat 21 May 2022, 11:48 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Andy & Mark,
Thanks for the compliment, Mark, but I'm not up to speed with the 4K monitors, having a 1080 one myself!  I seem to remember mention of the problem on a Forum some time ago, but can't recall if there was a solution.

Andy : When you applied the v1.4 update, did you follow the instruction to change the target path?  If not, the update would have gone to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator !  If you don't have a 4K screen, that is most likely why MSTS doesn't start.   You can easily check if the v1.4 update has been applied - open the folder containing train.exe;  if it's size is NOT 3997KB then the update has not been applied.

Although I never do it, it's a worry why you can't copy the GLOBAL folder because it could point to other possible problems.  When you try to copy, what happens? What message/s do you get?

Cheers,
Ged
Hi Ged/Mark.
I have some Railway DVD's that come free with various Rly Magazines etc and I have loaded some of them but like 1MSTS they load OK but will not play so there is obviously some issue with the computer.
I am unable to open train exe but I certainly did redirect updates to D:\1MSTS,
And yes I do have a 4K led monitor, I would like to know more about these problems, has anybody else encountered any monitor problems running MSTS?
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 22 May 2022, 9:34 am

Hi Andy,
You don't need to open train.exe - just use Explorer to open your D:\1MSTS folder and you can see its size in the right-hand column.
Irrespective of whether you have a 4K monitor or not, MSTS will not run in Win 10 unless it's been properly updated.

I understand that a patch is available to enable MSTS to run using a 4K monitor, but I've not been able to find it.  The only information I could find indicates that if the Desktop resolution is set to 1920x1080, MSTS will run.

Sorry I can't be more helpful Sad

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sun 22 May 2022, 6:38 pm

Hi Ged.
File discription patch v 1.4 File version 1.16 5 912 size 3,90mb So it looks as if it went into the Train exe file OK.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 22 May 2022, 7:08 pm

Hi Andy,
Yes, that looks OK Smile
When you get MSTS started, if you haven't already added the MSTSBin Patch, I suggest you do so because most stock, these days, requires it to be installed.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Mon 23 May 2022, 1:21 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Andy,
Yes, that looks OK Smile
When you get MSTS started, if you haven't already added the MSTSBin Patch, I suggest you do so because most stock, these days, requires it to be installed.

Cheers,
Ged
Hi Ged.
Yes I have Bin, X tracks, Finescale etc all in a folder ready to install, but it is of no use until I can get the basic MSTS to work! When I try to play msts, my screen still goes black for five seconds and then crashes back to desktop.
The S4me tuitional suggested using C:\1MSTS as a target directory, so might uninstall and try that, Yes I am aware about C Program and X86 files so will avoid them, my computer has OS(C) and Data(D) drives, discs are loaded
into DVD RW Drive E.
I am still concerned by Marks post about the 4K LED Monitor, which is what I have. But Ive never seen any other people post about having problems otherwise I would have a "1080" when I made the purchase as I did when I
specified the Nvidea graphics card which replaced the original graphics card supplied.
Is it possible to have some more feedback about the monitor screens please anyone.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Mon 23 May 2022, 2:37 pm

Hi Andy.

You can reduce the settings of the monitor to 1080p resolution and try that.

EDIT: I have been poking around online for the 4k resolution problem and found this on trainsim.com.........................

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?330347-MSTS-Will-Not-Run-on-Windows-10

Hope that fixes it for you.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sat 28 May 2022, 4:42 pm

Markh5682 wrote:Hi Andy.

You can reduce the settings of the monitor to 1080p resolution and try that.

EDIT: I have been poking around online for the 4k resolution problem and found this on trainsim.com.........................

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?330347-MSTS-Will-Not-Run-on-Windows-10

Hope that fixes it for you.
Sorry, but I could not make head or tail of the trainsim post. What is 950/1050, Sorry but I don't understand any of that. at all.
I have a 28 inch 4K LED monitor It is set to HDMI 1, I am unclear what settings I need to run train sim 1 which still crashes back to desktop!
Help please?
Edit: Have had a look at Programs and features in Control panel, I note that Microsoft Train simulator does not show a publisher, size or version, is that a problem as well?

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 28 May 2022, 5:37 pm

Hi Andy,
Don't worry about the 950/1050 thing - they are just graphics cards!

Click the link in post #21 and follow the instructions.

Sorry I can't check it out myself, but subsequent posts seem to indicate that it works

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sat 28 May 2022, 7:17 pm

Don't worry about the 950/1050 thing - they are just graphics cards!

Click the link in post #21 and follow the instructions.

Sorry I can't check it out myself, but subsequent posts seem to indicate that it works

Cheers,
Ged

Sorry Ged]
Post #21? Is that the link to Steam 4me tuitional? I can try and reinstall Train Simulator, but not very confident that it will work!

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 28 May 2022, 7:37 pm

Hi Andy,
No, it's the link to the trainsim.com thread, posted by Mark!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sat 28 May 2022, 10:22 pm

No, it's the link to the trainsim.com thread, posted by Mark!

Cheers,
Ged
Hi Ged.
Sorry, but I am rather confused, I assume that this is the post by Vern Moorhouse, But I already have a nVida GTX1650 Graphics card installed, So in theory, there should be no problem?
I am out all day tomorrow Sunday but will have another go at installing MSTS, tomorrow night I think I am following the correct instructions from steam 4me. is there some other issue?
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 28 May 2022, 10:34 pm

Hi Andy,
Sorry, mate, but you seem to have misunderstood what's been posted.

It's nothing to do with your graphics cards and if your MSTS is already correctly installed, you don't need to re-install it.

The problem is with MSTS itself - as it's an old program, by default, it can't handle UHD monitors, so a work-around has to be applied.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down