Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is It Me Or...

+3
StephenRWells
rufuskins
OldVern
7 posters

Go down

Is It Me Or... Empty Is It Me Or...

Post  OldVern Tue 09 May 2017, 3:07 pm

Having decided to dust off MSTS after releasing a Trainz route, every subject I've picked or tried to pick already seems to have been covered.

I was going to do a short route around Banbury, but most of that seems to have been covered by the Chiltern route and to a much higher standard than I could attain.

Venturing outside the UK, I found an interesting branch line in Holland but... a bit of Googling later and that seems to have been done.

Even further afield I happened on an interesting suburban but scenic branch line in New Zealand, guess what... already done.

With the big mega-routes already sowing up most of the UK and it seems more extensive coverage around the world than you might think, is there actually anything worthwhile left route wise to generate a 25 - 30 mile casual project?!

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Is It Me Or... Empty Re: Is It Me Or...

Post  rufuskins Tue 09 May 2017, 10:13 pm

I suppose it depends on what you mean by covered? Brian is working on a route based on Huddersfield in the late 1910s and early 1920s, and concentrating on the sort of area you're referring to. I had always considered a route based on the Rochdale area but in the days when it was significantly more extensive. Obviously I'm biased, not only because I live in the same area but my TSM work was based on LYR wagons, and I'm slowly trying to build up a data base for LYR coaches.
It therefore seems to me that small routes based on important railway locations in their early days would offer many opportunities for route builders be they experienced or wanting to dabble.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Wed 10 May 2017, 10:18 am

Hi,

One area I would love to see re-created is the Cornwall section of the Paddington to Penzance Route. Apart from a few sections the scenery was very basic, if at all. As someone who grew up in Cornwall this area is of special interest to me. I do remember as a "Geography Lesson" we were taken for a return trip on the Helston Branch Line shortly before it closed to passenger traffic and later completely. The motive power had changed from Steam to Diesel by this time - possibly a Class22? at least I think that's what it looked like.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Wed 10 May 2017, 12:18 pm

How about East Yorkshire? Hull, Beverley, Hornsea, Withernsea etc.? Even a railway-owned and operated ferry to New Holland which would be interesting!

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern Wed 10 May 2017, 5:51 pm

Well I've dusted off my research and found a prototype that I doubt anyone else has tackled (or likely to tackle). Not UK but if I can pull it off one of (IMHO) the most spectacular narrow gauge lines in Europe, not operational for many years but it would have been a marvelous section of railway to travel over. More to follow (at the moment chasing Google Earth vs old maps to try and plot the course as accurately as I can).

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Wed 10 May 2017, 6:04 pm

Two routes I would love to see produced are Pontypool Road to Neath (GWR and originally West Midland Railway and predecessors) and the Heads of the Valleys line (LNWR). Either would include Merthyr where most of the companies in South Wales seem to have had running powers. And both have numerous junctions with lines down the valleys. But the latter would be another stamping ground for Rufuskins' carriages and wagons (not LYR). As a first stage the PPR route could end at the long tunnel west of Quakers Yard.
Then there are all the smaller South Wales lines, mostly about 25 miles or so but with complex track layouts.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern Thu 18 May 2017, 5:44 pm

Actually I have spotted a couple of UK routes which don't seem to have made it into the public domain.

First is Clapham (Yorkshire) on the Little North Western, via Ingleton to Low Gill then Tebay on the WCML. This was actually a double track route through some rather nice looking scenery but an early casualty for closure. Appears to have been attempted in TS20xx, but not MSTS.

The other is the Teign Valley from Exeter St Thomas round to Heathfield and the Moretonhampstead branch. According to UKTS seems to have been started around 2007 but no further reports from the originator.

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  RIGFindlay Thu 18 May 2017, 7:55 pm

I think double-track routes are the more interesting to operate. Roderic

RIGFindlay

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern Fri 19 May 2017, 7:58 am

RIGFindlay wrote:I think double-track routes are the more interesting to operate. Roderic

And easier to signal!

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway Fri 19 May 2017, 4:24 pm

Hi Vern, I had a look at those routes you mentioned and the author never finished them and then moved on to
TS2xxx before disappearing around 2013.

Bob
Scampispeedway
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum