Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows Update KB3035583

+6
andrew moody
lateagain
Scampispeedway
slipperman12
35005CP
rufuskins
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Windows Update KB3035583 - Page 2 Empty Re: Windows Update KB3035583

Post  slipperman12 Thu 10 Dec 2015, 7:10 pm

Hi All,
Microsoft won't stop pushing Windows 10!!

Yesterday, I got a sudden pop-up in the middle of the screen "suggesting" I upgrade my Windows 7 to 10. I haven't, knowingly, installed any of the suspect updates, and I don't let any updates install automatically, but there it was! I carried out some investigations, but found nothing untoward. I then came across a program called GWX Control Panel (GWX = Get Windows 10), which is designed to prevent, or remove, any updates that have the purpose of persuading users to upgrade to Win 10.

I installed it and, on first running, it gave a message that it had found updates referring to Win 10. I started its Monitor running, then, after a re-boot, it couldn't find anything and indicated that "I appeared to be safe"!

I'll leave it running permanently, or at least until it starts causing trouble! It doesn't seem to affect MSTS or OR, but I'll report back here if I have any problems.

If you wish to try GWX out, it's available here : http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ However, I can't imagine Microsoft letting this sort of program run for long!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Fri 11 Dec 2015, 9:43 am

Thanks for the link Ged, and I've downloaded and installed using the installer - Norton said it was OK. It gave the following report:-
Windows Update KB3035583 - Page 2 Gwx_re10
Hopefully it means that in the immediate future I can worry a little less about W10 until such time as I'm ready to take the plunge!
Later today I'll install it on SWMBO's computer and see what it says?

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 11 Dec 2015, 9:59 pm

Hi Alec,
I installed into the Win 8.1 partition on my test PC, and ran it the same as on my main PC. The only difference is that, in the centre window, it says that it found the Win 10 app, but the display above it indicates that it's not active, so I think it's OK!
Time will tell, although I don't use that PC very often Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Fri 11 Dec 2015, 10:20 pm

As mentioned before Windows 10 had been downloaded by MS plus a number of updates that may have been related to this. I used the suggestions in Computer Active and Web User to uninstall those updates and then hide them. In addition I had also found the W10 download in the C drive and deleted that, but it actually downloaded again within optional updates but this too I hid. GWX has confirmed that the deletions, etc. were successful, although I expect MS to find other obscure/hidden ways of forcing W10 on me. I am formulating plans to disconnect my MSTS/TSM computer from the "interweb", and revive the "spare" laptop to use W10 as the OS and connect to the "interweb" through this.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway Fri 18 Dec 2015, 6:16 pm

Hi Ged, as you say Windows are still trying to push Win 10 on people who don't want it and this morning
I found that KB3035583 was again available to me despite me hiding it.
So I downloaded and installed the GWX programme and after clearing the Cache and deleting all the
Windows 10 download files, I have after rebooting the computer a screen report similar to Alec's and
altered the Monitoring status to enabled and running.
Thanks for that programme and will check it every day so that any file related to Windows 10 can easily
be deleted.
Cheers
Bob
Scampispeedway
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Fri 18 Dec 2015, 7:19 pm

I can only assume that when this "FREE OFFER" of Win 10 is over and you have to pay for it they will stop this dubious way of forcing it onto my PC.To be fair its harder to keep out than most Virus Programs.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:36 pm

Mmmm . . why should they as it would appear that no one has raised any legal objections to their approach!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sat 19 Dec 2015, 9:42 am

Assuming GWX would pick up anything that was W10 related I allowed some updates to be installed, but then discovered that KB3112343 - presumably GWX wasn't aware of this update when last made available - was to be used as follows:-

"This update enables (according to Microsoft’s description) support for additional upgrade scenarios from Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10, and provides a smoother experience when you have to retry an operating system upgrade because of certain failure conditions. This update also improves the ability of Microsoft to monitor the quality of the upgrade experience. In other words: Both updates may be hidden, if you don’t plan to upgrade to Windows 10."

I then proceeded to uninstall and hide it! Of course others may do as they wish.

Currently Microsoft gives the impression that it has morphed into the Hydra of Greek mythology. You uninstall and hide one W10 related update and two more pop up in it's place just like when one head was cut off from the Hydra and two more grew in it's place! I'm not sure that I quite expected that my Windows experience would equate to the twelve (12) labours of Hercules! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Mon 28 Dec 2015, 2:19 pm

Hello Alec,This dreaded update has appeared again today ready download/install...But now I have a query,though this may not be the place to put it.

I run Win 7 with a Partition thus marked C   and behind the partition marked XP,       so should I now give up hope and decide to instal Win 10 will it also take over the XP part of my PC or will that remain safe..Just wondering because I'm convinced one day I'll wake up to find my PC is running W10 Evil or Very Mad whether I like it or not. Embarassed..........Hope you and SWMBO had a very Merry Christmas santa Roger

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 28 Dec 2015, 3:28 pm

Roger
Thanks for the kind wishes.
In terms of partitions and Windows 10 I would imagine that Ged could answer any queries with this. I continue to struggle on with Windows 7 and updates set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". When I find out that a particular update is Windows 10 orientated either as a recommended or optional update then I hide it.
I suspect that eventually MS will find a way of bypassing this, and perhaps my only defence against this will be to disconnect the computer from the internet! Whenever I get new updates showing I put their reference number in my browser to see what others think or know - if MS is such a jolly good company you would think that they would be more open about update content - and act accordingly.
Finally I would suggest that you contact Ged or Andy as noted above with respect to partitions, etc.
All the very best for the New Year to you and yours, Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 28 Dec 2015, 5:49 pm

Thanks Alec Smile
Hi Roger,
Your separate XP partition will be safe! Microsoft stopped all XP updates some time ago.

If you do as Alec does. Change Windows Update so that it doesn't automatically update, but tells you when there are some available, then download, but don't install them Check against the previously published list of KB numbers and if you find any, hide them, then let the others update as normal.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Mon 28 Dec 2015, 7:08 pm

Thanks Alec,I have just done the same as you so will have to check each and every download.

and

Thank you Ged,I'm failing dismally with the Win 10 rubbish and have even thought of getting rid of the PC,in fact all I seem to use it for now is TSSH,UKTS and MSTS.But still I'm glad to be back on Win7,so thats all I needed to know.Hope you also had a Merry Xmas .

Wishing you both and your families a Happy New Year,Health,Wealth and MSTS..Roger. Very Happy

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 29 Dec 2015, 3:54 pm

Roger
Pleased to hear that you are holding your own, and like you my computer is mainly for TSSH and MSTS as well as Train Sim Modeller(TSM). I also use it to watch films that are of no interest to my wife.
All the best, Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 01 Jan 2016, 2:45 pm

Hi All,
Thanks to a poster on Elvastower, I've found that a new version of GWX (1.7.0.2) has been released, presumably to counter-act Microsoft's new efforts! It's available from the same site : http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
I would recommend that you uninstall the old version first; I initially installed without removing the old version, but the Monitor (in the System Tray) still showed the old version number.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Fri 01 Jan 2016, 4:11 pm

Wednesday evening I downloaded this onto SWMBO's computer and it immediately found Windows 10 stuff including bits of W10 install files that I hadn't deleted. It removed these and reported that nothing was now present that related to W10. I have now updated my own copy to the latest version in line with Ged's comments, and it still reports no W10 stuff present on my computer.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2