Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New stable version released

5 posters

Go down

New stable version released Empty New stable version released

Post  ShortNorth Fri 03 Apr 2015, 6:31 am

No-one seems to have noticed that a new stable version of OR has been released today - a nice Easter Egg.

Been playing with it since this morning - a few extra features - getting closer to the full V1.0

Last edited by ShortNorth on Tue 07 Apr 2015, 4:14 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : reference to V1.0 removed)

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth
ShortNorth

http://shortnorth.steam4me.net/

Back to top Go down

New stable version released Empty Re: New stable version released

Post  Markh5682 Fri 03 Apr 2015, 10:20 am

Thanks, I'll go and have a look OK

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Fri 03 Apr 2015, 2:47 pm

I have downloaded and run it, it mentions on the website about running it in 64bit (LAA version) which you can select from the options menu, but I cannot find that option at all, I've been though all the tabs in the options menu but still can't find it.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Fri 03 Apr 2015, 3:57 pm

Options | General

and check "Large address aware binaries"

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 03 Apr 2015, 3:59 pm

Hi Mark,
I haven't got the new stable version yet, but all modern versions (at least up to X2951!) automatically run the LAA version of RunActivity if you're using a 64-bit OS.

You can prove this by, while OR is running an activity, opening up the Windows Task Manager, and clicking the Processes tab. You will either see RunActivity or RunActivityLAA in the list.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Fri 03 Apr 2015, 5:13 pm

Thanks Ged.
I'll check that OK

Thanks David.
Just had a look and that option is ticked. OK

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:32 pm

I see on the OR website, that the new stable release has been officially recognized as V1.0

So, now we can start doing 'serious conversions' of any MSTS assets we want to work under OR. I'll take a copy of my MSTS trainsets and start working through them to tweak their running so they work better in OR.

Regards, Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Mon 06 Apr 2015, 11:20 pm

ShortNorth wrote:I see on the OR website, that the new stable release has been officially recognized as V1.0

So, now we can start doing 'serious conversions' of any MSTS assets we want to work under OR. I'll take a copy of my MSTS trainsets and start working through them to tweak their running so they work better in OR.

Regards, Brian

Brian, I believe you are a little ahead of things there.  The following is stated in a post yesterday in the Open Rails "News" thread on Elvas Tower:

"The next "stable version" following v0.9 will be v1.0 and will be published on the website in a few weeks."

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Tue 07 Apr 2015, 4:13 am

That's weird - this morning I opened the OR website and clicked on the Changes Since Last Visit in the top right hand corner - it took me to a page under Discover, Open Rails that very clearly announced what was new in V1.0 - since seeing your post, I've just checked back ...... that page has mysteriously disappeared !!!

They must have been doing a 'test link', and I just stumbled on it at the right time. As I read through the features list, I said to myself - wow - as I read each confirmed feature. And, no, I'm not imagining things - there definitely was a page openly declaring what's new in V1.0.

Regards, Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:43 am

Hi,
I think confusion has arisen because this page : http://openrails.org/download/program/ shows the Stable version with a date of 1 April 2015. This made me think that it was a new version, but it turns out to be 0.9.2969, which is not quite up to Friday's version! Maybe it was an April Fool's joke Shocked

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Tue 07 Apr 2015, 2:06 pm

ShortNorth wrote:That's weird - this morning I opened the OR website and clicked on the Changes Since Last Visit in the top right hand corner - it took me to a page under Discover, Open Rails that very clearly announced what was new in V1.0 - since seeing your post, I've just checked back ......  that page has mysteriously disappeared !!!

They must have been doing a 'test link', and I just stumbled on it at the right time.  As I read through the features list, I said to myself  - wow - as I read each confirmed feature. And, no, I'm not imagining things - there definitely was a page openly declaring what's new in V1.0.

Regards, Brian

Was this the page!

http://www.openrails.org/discover/version-1-0/

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:23 pm

dforrest wrote:...........................................Was this the page!

http://www.openrails.org/discover/version-1-0/

Yes, that's the page I saw that convinced me the new stable release was V1.0

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  cjakeman Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:31 pm

ShortNorth wrote:That's weird - this morning I opened the OR website and clicked on the Changes Since Last Visit in the top right hand corner - it took me to a page under Discover, Open Rails that very clearly announced what was new in V1.0 - since seeing your post, I've just checked back ......  that page has mysteriously disappeared !!!

They must have been doing a 'test link', and I just stumbled on it at the right time.  As I read through the features list, I said to myself  - wow - as I read each confirmed feature. And, no, I'm not imagining things - there definitely was a page openly declaring what's new in V1.0.
Good detective work, Brian.

You are quite right and it's not an April fool. That's a "test link" which will become live once v1.0 is released.

The "Stable Version" you can currently install doesn't really justify the "stable" title. It will soon be replaced by a well-tested version which will really be v1.0. We're just moving into a lock-down period when no new material is added, just simple bug-fixes, and we pound on the candidate version to squeeze out any bugs.

Chris Jakeman
Open Rails Management Team

cjakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

Chris, it is good to see a post from you here correcting the confusion.

There appear to be to issues with the proposed version 1.0 which will, I believe, effect UK users.  These are:

1.  No working water troughs.

2.  No activity evaluation.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:10 pm

Hi Chris,
Many thanks for the clarification Smile

Will one of the "simple bug fixes" be the position of steam loco footplate crew when using a Freight Animation on the tender?
I originally reported it on 22/5/2014 (bug 1322334) which was fixed on 10/11/2014. Since then, the problem has re-appeared and I reported it on 2/2/2015 under bug number 1417231. I don't know the exact X version number when it re-appeared, but if it'd be useful, I can probably do some tests to find out.

Except for the above, I'd like to thank you and the Team for the great job being done with Open Rails!!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Fri 10 Apr 2015, 12:10 am

Thanks Chris,

Your confirmation means that I'm not going mad, I really did see that page !!!

I'm certainly looking forward to the V1.0 release.

A very big thank you to all the Open Rails team.

Regards, Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Fri 10 Apr 2015, 3:07 pm

dforrest wrote:Chris, it is good to see a post from you here correcting the confusion.

There appear to be to issues with the proposed version 1.0 which will, I believe, effect UK users.  These are:

Has anyone here any comments on the above statement which I made earlier in this thread?

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  cjakeman Fri 10 Apr 2015, 7:15 pm

dforrest wrote:

and also an occasional bug in positioning loco crew.

To release a new stable version, we have to stop adding new features, bring the documentation and the 8 language translations into step, fix any bugs that are show-stoppers (e.g. cause Open Rails to crash), update the website (as spotted earlier) and test and re-test the software to ensure it is stable.

As soon as this process is complete and v1.0 is released, we will return to business as usual which includes adding and fixing the features like these that concern our users. The Development Team has discussed at length whether we are justified in declaring this release to be "v1.0", so I can understand if you have reservations.

Chris Jakeman
Open Rails Management Team

cjakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down