Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scam warning.

5 posters

Go down

Scam warning. Empty Scam warning.

Post  Markh5682 Thu 06 Jun 2019, 11:09 am

Just had an automated telephone call (from BT?) to say my internet will be cut off within 24 hours.

This is not BT but a scam, do not press any of the numbers you are asked to.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill...ess-1.html

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Aut...-p/1852430

I am not with BT and don't have an active BT landline, so I was suspicious of it from the start.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Scam warning. Empty Re: Scam warning.

Post  StephenRWells Thu 06 Jun 2019, 11:23 am

Hi,

Just to confirm that it is a scam - I too had that phone call a couple of months ago which I IGNORED and my phone line has been unaffected.

Regards,

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  RIGFindlay Thu 06 Jun 2019, 9:45 pm

Same here. They don't give up easily. It was repeated for a few weeks. The American voice is a give away. Roderic

RIGFindlay

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway Wed 07 Aug 2019, 2:03 pm

Had at least three scam calls to want discuss my broadband over the last few days, last claimed to be a Technician from BT and didn't mention my name which is
known to BT because of the withheld number I use, so I just said I'm not with BT and don't use their broadband, the caller soon put the phone down and his number
has been added on my phone to never accept calls from in the future.

Bob
Scampispeedway
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway Thu 08 Aug 2019, 12:28 pm

I've got two Automated Calls this morning claiming to be BT saying they are disconnecting my line and broadband so they've been
added to my list of blocked calls.
I phoned BT after the second one to let them know what has been happening and they have sent my findings to their investigation
team and they will make sure that other BT customers will not be bothered as they have taken note of all my blocked numbers.

Bob
Scampispeedway
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Fri 09 Aug 2019, 1:04 am

It's not just you guys in the UK that are getting this scam.

Australia is currently (has been for around four years now) rolling out the NBN (National Broadband Network) where EVERY customer will be changed over from the POTS (plain old telephone system) to a combination of fibre optic broadband (and other various technologies). The NBN company makes it very clear that after a suburb has the NBN rolled out to every customer in that suburb, the redundant copper telephone cables in the ground will be disconnected and pulled out about 18 months after - this gives the customer 18 months to choose a new ISP and make the change from POTS to NBN.

My suburb changed two years ago. I keep getting several scam calls a week for the last couple of months, saying that my my phone and internet line will be cut off in 24 hours, unless I speak to their technician by pressing 1. I guess that some people will panic and get caught by this scam, I wonder where pressing 1 will take you to, and at what cost ?

The scammers are too stupid to realise that the old POTS cable from my house to the exchange does NOT have any phone or internet accounts on it - it is simply a bit of abandoned copper cable in the ground. So, let them cut off my phone and internet, it's not going to affect me - my secure Hybrid Fibre Coaxial NBN connection is still working fine after 'many' 24 hour disconnection threats.

Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth
ShortNorth

http://shortnorth.steam4me.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down