Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Out of Memory

4 posters

Go down

Out of Memory Empty Out of Memory

Post  slipperman12 Mon 29 Jan 2018, 11:39 am

Hi All,
I wonder if this has happened to anybody else?
The other day, I suddenly got a message that Windows was running out of memory. I thought it was ridiculous as I was only using one application (obviously anti-virus and other essential background tasks were running); I have 8GB RAM and the space available for the page file is 12GB. I wasn't allowed to do anything else, but managed to force a shutdown. Restarted OK and continued my "work", but soon the error repeated. I used Task Manager to see if anything was using a large amount of memory. IT WAS!! Malwarebytes service was using more than 6 of my 8GB!

I had been running Malwarebytes v3 Premium 30 day Trial and for the last few days, been receiving messages that my trial was due to end in x days. I stopped the service, but it restarted almost immediately, so I uninstalled Malwarebytes v3! All has been normal since. I have installed the free version of Malwarebytes v2.1.6.

I didn't mind being prompted that the trial was almost ending, but consider the action I experienced as unacceptable. A novice user could be forced into an unnecessary purchase Sad

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Out of Memory Empty Re: Out of Memory

Post  rufuskins Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:32 pm

I haven't had that particular problem with Malwarebytes, but I have found that if it is scheduled as part of "start up" then it tends to use a significant percentage of the CPU as shown in Task Manager and it was difficult to do anything else whilst it completed. I disabled it as part of the "start up" and run it manually and now "start up" doesn't hang the computer!

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Latimer Mon 29 Jan 2018, 7:33 pm

Hi guys.

I "maintain" an old laptop, three desktops and a tablet, all running Windows and Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium.

On Sunday mornings I check for updates etc. This Sunday I got an "out of memory" error on my main desktop (the first one I remember seeing) and a message about MWB not being able to open something because of some kind of rootkit checking on the old Windows 7 laptop.

After a couple of reboots on both machines it all seemed to have settled down except that on all five machines MWB Web Protection was turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I checked MWB for updates and some, but not all updated. After a few more reboots all machines were back to normal. I then ran a full scan on all of them (including the rootkits check) and they all came out clean.

Not sure what was going on or why but it was a bit concerning for a while.

As a side (but perhaps related) issue, my main machine seems often to take quite a while after the first boot-up in the morning to get to a usable state. I put it down to Windows 10 installing updates and would generally press the power button to boot up and come back later. My main machine is currently not processing Windows Updates for some reason (which is probably just as well since when it does manage to apply the Fall Creators Update I end up with a Start Menu that has only the basic Window entries and all of the others, including Microsoft Office, have disappeared). So that can't be the cause of the longish period of un-usabilty after first boot. Alec's comment about MWB causing this problem rang a bell, so I'll try to check that one out.

Bob.

Bob Latimer

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 29 Jan 2018, 9:07 pm

Hi Bob,
Good to see you're still around Smile

Is your Malwarebytes Premium v3.0 the paid-for version, or a trial?

If the "out of memory" message recurs, see if you can call up the Task Manager; if so, have a look at the Processes tab - Show Processes from all users. The Malwarebytes service is called something like mbmservice - check how much memory it's using.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Latimer Mon 29 Jan 2018, 9:13 pm

Hi Ged.

It's the paid-for version.

If I do get an out of memory message again I'll try that.

Just had a look now. (The machine's been running for a while.) Task Manager is showing Malwarebytes Service using 157.0 MB, which doesn't seem to be a lot.

I'll check it just after I boot next.

Regards,

Bob.

Bob Latimer

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:04 pm

My paid up version is Malwarebytes 3.3.1.2183 and is currently using some 125MB of memory. I'm still running Windows 7 (64 bit SP1 ).

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Shawmut Sat 24 Feb 2018, 2:26 pm

Hi Ged,

I've had some unusual shenanigans with Malwarebytes 3.0 premium (actually 3.3.1.2183 is the current iteration on my computer), but never the out of memory exception you got. Mainly what I get is that services, like scanning for rootkits, which is on by default will turn off for no specific reason. When I try to turn it back on, it just hangs. The answer has always been to uninstall the app and then reinstall the latest one downloaded from Malwarebyte's website; that almost always fixes the problem.

I've used Malwarebytes for years now, and given how porous Windows Defender was (note my use of the past tense here) I wouldn't have considered NOT using it. That said, since MS came out with Win10 their anti-malware suite has gotten so good that it is a rare occurrence that something gets past Windows Defender and has to have Malwarebytes stop it. I'll probably continue to subscribe to their service - mostly out of paranoia about the wild west nature of the internet - but I think that if I was forced not to subscribe due to dwindling finances I could probably get by okay with just the unpaid version and use Windows Defender as the real-time monitoring service.

Cheers,

David

Shawmut

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 24 Feb 2018, 2:46 pm

Hi David,
I think the difference is that you have paid for MalwareBytes v3 Premium whereas I was coming to the end of my free trial. I would expect, and accept, numerous pop-ups "advising" me that my trial was coming to an end, but the effects I had on my system, if they were caused by MalwareBytes, were not conducive to me paying for the software! Since then, I have been running the free version without any problems, malware or otherwise!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum