Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Template For Double Track Junction (X-Tracks)

3 posters

Go down

Template For Double Track Junction (X-Tracks) Empty Template For Double Track Junction (X-Tracks)

Post  OldVern Thu 13 Oct 2016, 8:24 am

Getting back up to speed with my route building and X-Tracks installed, thought one of the more illusive aspects of default MSTS - creating a double track junction - would be a doddle using the 10 degree crossover with standard A10 points. Wrong!

The point and crossover connected do not place at the standard track spacing so after trial and error with different "shim" pieces sorted that out. However, with the crossing formed and lined up, and a A2T10m on the branch to line up the inner rail, the spacing there is also wider than standard. I've looked through the X-Tracks documentation plus searched around on line and can't find any good description of how to configure a standard junction. At the moment I've just reverted to a single lead arrangement but this is a relatively recent configuration and most steam or early diesel era infrastructure used the traditional system with both tracks diverging and a diamond crossover.

Sorry to sound like a newb posting this!

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Template For Double Track Junction (X-Tracks) Empty Re: Template For Double Track Junction (X-Tracks)

Post  terrycunliffe Fri 14 Oct 2016, 7:49 am

Hi Vern,
Welcome back!
Re double track 10 degree turnouts with cross-overs.
You are correct, there is nothing in documentation showing how to construct them.
However, I did manage to create such an item using dynamic track sections, and you will find that NWE is full of them Smile
If you have (any) version, in RE from the start position just travel West or East for a few hundred metres and you will find LH turnouts at Newton-le-Willows and Earlestown E junctions respectively. From the former, travel a little further Eastwards, and you'll find a RH turnout  at Parkside junct.
It should be easy for a man of your calibre to work out the configuration by selecting each track section in turn Smile
They're not perfect, but they do work!
In V3, I think that I managed to create some double track turnouts without the need of dynamic track using X tracks 6 degree points and diamond... I'll take a look over the weekend and report back
Cheers,
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Template For Double Track Junction (X-Tracks) Empty Re: Template For Double Track Junction (X-Tracks)

Post  OldVern Fri 14 Oct 2016, 8:05 am

Thanks Terry, I'll take a look.

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnY58 Fri 14 Oct 2016, 8:32 am

Vern,

Michael Vone's Step-by-Step Guide to Building Routes for Microsoft Train Simulator pages 77 thru 80 gives illustrated instructions for dual-track crossovers and branches.

John
JohnY58
JohnY58

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Fri 14 Oct 2016, 9:01 am

JohnY58 wrote:Vern,

Michael Vone's Step-by-Step Guide to Building Routes for Microsoft Train Simulator pages 77 thru 80 gives illustrated instructions for dual-track crossovers and branches.

John
Hi John,
Yes, but IIRC, it only gives illustrations for 5% turnouts (which take up a lot of linear "space")
T

Last edited by terrycunliffe on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Fri 14 Oct 2016, 9:03 am

OldVern wrote:Thanks Terry, I'll take a look.
Of course, now the dynamic straight sections I used can be replaced with an appropriate selection of X track "straights" in order to save on file size.

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Fri 14 Oct 2016, 6:47 pm

Hi Vern,
I've just taken a quick look in NWE V3 and there's couple of examples of twin track turn outs using 100% X track sections in the following locations:-
-2.24282, 53.08653 (3 degree LH)
-2.20042, 53.49401 (6 degree RH)
Hope this helps.
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern Sat 15 Oct 2016, 8:17 am

Brilliant Terry, much appreciated.

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down